Which group set for a 1979 Carlton Professional build?

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
My first build, over last winter, was this rather nice '79 Carlton Professional.

Now an admission. I wanted to build a single-speed to try riding one, so I rebuilt it like this.

It was nice to build and ride for a bit, but I now realise that the frame deserves to be a full road bike. Having sold the Shimano Arabesque group-set to buy the wheels and a few other bits for the single-speed build, I now need a new group-set.

Rather than just start buying Arabesque stuff again I just thought I would ask for recommendations as to what group-set might best suit the bike? Bear in mind funds are not unlimited, but I do want something suitable from the era.

Thoughts?

Originally the frame would have cost about £90-£100 so unlikely to have had Campag SR / Dura Ace....... Nuovo record or Shimano 600 would look period IMHO.

Was it in an original "Silver Team Lustre" colour when you got it?

Shaun

Yes, it was silver, and had the bottom bracket cut outs. I didn't know what model it was when bought, but a few pics on here seemed to confirm it is a Professional.

Here is a pic of it when purchased.

Turning it into single speed is criminal in my opinion, not my bike though...

Suntour Superb road group would look good & a bit different but period as I had a Red Carlton Pro back in 79-81 used for work & had a suntour gruppo accept for the TA Cyclotourist chainset with 68T ring :)

With a bit of patience there are Arabesque bits on eBay quite often at reasonable prices. It would be good to put it back to original spec.

Another vote for Shimano 600 here.

I must say that you did a very nice job on the singlespeed build, but it looks perfect in the first photo too...

Re:

It is a very different looking single-speed just at the moment. :)

Still on the look out for a suitable group-set though.

Re:

It looks a lot better with drops.

I'd echo what Shaun says, I have bought some Nuovo Record bits for a 1978 bike I will be building up this winter; with a bit of patience and searching all the usual places, you can pick it up at pretty sensible prices

Back