Dwain Chambers

orange71":10m2iegl said:
Yes, the shame with Chambers is that, as commentators have said, he had the talent to do great things without taking drugs... the fact that he has had the strength to carry on through all of this shows that - and look at the times he's doing now clean.

Although there is also the argument - what else was he going to do? He already tried American Football and Rugby League unsuccessfully... I'm guessing, but he may not be qualified to do anything else.

what else is he going to do ? he should have thought of that before taling drugs .

orange71":1si788tb said:
what else was he going to do? He already tried American Football and Rugby League unsuccessfully... I'm guessing, but he may not be qualified to do anything else.

The AAA should give him a coaching job. But they haven't got the b*lls, and it wouldn't pay him enough!

cchris2lou":17o60bfo said:
Anthony":17o60bfo said:
cchris2lou":17o60bfo said:
he should be banned for life .
taking drugs is not an error of judgement .
But if he was French, he wouldn't be banned. The British know best, eh Chris?
why not , surely the law is the same for all .
dont know about athletics , but in cycling , to get a pro license , french riders have to give blood 3 times a year . which explains why they are always behind doped italians , belgium and spanish .
Chris, his point is that the British Olympic Association is the only one that has a life ban for drugs offences - if he was French, or American or whatever else he would be competing.

Anthony":1gm6fh7c said:
cchris2lou":1gm6fh7c said:
Anthony":1gm6fh7c said:
cchris2lou":1gm6fh7c said:
But if he was French, he wouldn't be banned. The British know best, eh Chris?
why not , surely the law is the same for all .
dont know about athletics , but in cycling , to get a pro license , french riders have to give blood 3 times a year . which explains why they are always behind doped italians , belgium and spanish .
Chris, his point is that the British Olympic Association is the only one that has a life ban for drugs offences - if he was French, or American or whatever else he would be competing.

for once the brits are right then !! :LOL: :LOL: ( only joking ) .

orange71":sosuh4fn said:

agreed.

I don't believe it's about the sport for him I believe it's about the money which is why he decided to have a go at rugby league instead of union.Personnally I doubt if he will ever be clean and as such should be banned from competition fullstop.He wouldn't have come in the top 4 at the olympics anyway judging by the qualifying times from around the world.

cchris2lou":viwqjlr6 said:
I'm not sure anyone can imagine the pressure that professional athletes are on to perfrom, other than the athletes themselves..
Grannygrinder":viwqjlr6 said:
..I believe it's about the money which is why he decided to have a go at rugby league instead of union.
Hmm.. League is about speed, Union is about brut force.. American Football is the League equiv. of the US..

I think people are too quick to judge; what Moral Highground do the General Public sit on exactly? How have they aspired to sportingly represent their country? And have they never done anything wrong that they can claim to be perfect and then vilify someone who was 'caught'?

Alot of people have done a lot worse, than try to be make themselves better than they were..

yes ,but surely if we want to have clean sports , we need to start somewhere .

and it should be the same about all those celebrities ( musicians , actors etc .. ) who take recreational drugs .

cchris2lou":344rz8mq said:
and it should be the same about all those celebrities ( musicians , actors etc .. ) who take recreational drugs .

There's all the decent music f@@ked then!

Yep, soz Dwain, you knew the implications of what you were doing, you knew what would happen if you got caught, you knew the slur it would put on all athletes and you knew you were risking your team-mates' medals.

Should have walked away quietly reflecting on what you did rather then make an arse of yourself in the courts. Could even have become a campaigner against drugs and then found employment in coaching with the blessing of British athletics. You had your shot at a primo-superstar lifestyle and you blew it, my heart is not bleeding.

For perspective, if a serviceman takes drugs, he is hoofed out of the services no questions asked, no second chance.

Hard rules here today I'm afraid! :twisted:

What were the implications of drug use at the time, ok he would be aware of the political fallout, but what were the imposed sentences and chances of competeing again?

Back