Retro Hardcore/Skatecore Punk

I think my taste in punk is a little earlier, I've always considered the band mentioned so far as post punk if I'm honest.

In my mind SLF are the gods of punk along with all the other heroes...

The Stranglers
The Pistols
The Clash
Ian Dury
Adverts
Sham 69

I could go on. As for the USA. The Ramones :cool:

I'm also partial to a bit of Fugazi. :D

I went to lots, BITD... but my memory isn't what it used to be.

The Boneless Ones were fantastic, every time they played.
(reformed for 1 gig in Swansea last month - heard good reports).
(meaning: The gig involved skateboarding, broken instruments and loss of blood - same as it ever was)

Saw The Stupids at Mon's Ramp Jam in Banbury.
Probably the peak of the mid-80s UK skate-punk scene.

Fugazi (never saw them when they were Minor Threat) - always excellent and they tend NOT to attract the disruptive idiots to their gigs.

Never caught Black Flag, but have seen Rollins several times over the years (gigs and spoken word) and he's always good value. Thankfully, he doesn't seem to attract the disruptive idiots to his gigs anymore. Tho from reading "Get In The Van", Black Flag often spent their time scrapping with neo-nazi $h1theads who came to dusrupt their gigs.

Saw DKs a while ago. Putting aside my reservations about them touring without Jello :shock:... they did an excellent live set; No rock star B.S.; Highly recommended.

Circle Jerks, JFA, Husker Du, Agent Orange.... Ooh, it takes me back.

cherrybomb":eczfkkbo said:
I think my taste in punk is a little earlier, I've always considered the band mentioned so far as post punk if I'm honest.

In my mind SLF are the gods of punk along with all the other heroes...

The Stranglers
The Pistols
The Clash
Ian Dury
Adverts
Sham 69

I could go on. As for the USA. The Ramones :cool:

I'm also partial to a bit of Fugazi. :D

Almost thought the Pistols and the Clash were too obvious to mention :D Sometimes it's hard to classify if a band is punk or early hardcore, but the aforementioned are definitely punk in a pure sense. I was listening to Imflammable Material the other day actually. Yet another classic I never get tired of. And was hugely into 999 in the early-mid 80's. Very original band, and great taste in wardrobe! :D Let's add the Vibrators and Buzzcocks to your list.

Not much love in here for Dead Kennedys then?

I was listening to Ramones this morning, actually. Still sounds ace!

Currently in the CD player in my car are...

Minor Threat - Discography
Leatherface - MUSH
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Holst - Planets

Apart from a few bands I found a lot of the post punk hardcore thing a bit tyresome :(

I couldn't do a favourite of all time list - it changes as the mood.

BITD I mostly enjoyed - Jesus and Mary Chain (early stuff), Loop, Spacemen3, GayBikers, Leatherface, Fugazi NoMeansNo, Hawkwind, Pixies, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Pitchshifter, some of a very long list.

All of which I still have and still listen to... on vinyl no less!

frogracer":y25orq9w said:
Not much love in here for Dead Kennedys then?

Yes. Loads. Got everything they every did (Except the 7"/12" vinyl of Nazi Punks F*** Off with the free NPFO arm band).

messiah":2ghcjvqn said:
BITD I mostly enjoyed - Jesus and Mary Chain (early stuff), Loop, Spacemen3, GayBikers, Leatherface, Fugazi NoMeansNo, Hawkwind, Pixies, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Pitchshifter, some of a very long list.

All of which I still have and still listen to... on vinyl no less!

Yep, saw most of them.
You can't beat a semi-accoustic or Jazzmaster, cranked up with shed-loads of distorion and creative use of feedback.
A wall of white noise: Sheer poetry :D

messiah":29hw1d9s said:

There's a few of my faves in there; NoMeansNo, Pixies, Fugazi, Mudhoney & Sonic Youth.

As for Hawkwind, I was involved (camerman) on a Space Ritual live DVD a couple of years ago.

They don't get any less wacky with age! :shock: :cool:

Back