FS Dawes Competition Giro 300

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
27zcazd.jpg

4schnn.jpg

Frame: Cro-mo
Dimensions: Seat tube C-C 20.5" (52cm), C-T 22" (56cm)
Top tube C-C 22.5" (57cm)
Fork: 1" threaded
Shifters: Shimano RSX STI (7x3)
Front Derailleur: Shimano RSX Triple
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RSX Long Cage
Cranks: Shimano RSX Triple
Chainrings: 46-36-26
Screw-on Freewheel: Sunrace 7spd (13/15/16/18/20/22/24) (under 100 miles use)
Chain: KMC (under 100 miles use)
Pedals: SPDs in photo are NOT included
Brakes: Exage Motion
Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Mavic Open 4CD
Hubs: Mavic
Tyres: Schwalbe Blizzard Sport
Stem: Kronos
Handlebar: ITM

Bike dates from 95-97ish and is in decent nick. A few scratches here and there but nothing down to bare metal. STI's have the usual scratches. Everything in pretty good working order, chain and freewheel were changed less than 100 miles ago. Only thing thats a bit iffy are the STI's, sometimes they don't move the gear cables but have recently doused them in WD40 and it appears to have sorted the problem. As stated above the SPDs are't included but will include the plastic VP pedals and straps if the buyer wants them.
Also included are:
Kalloy stem that came on it (it was trying a shorter stem but the top tube is just too long for me
Specialites TA 50t 110BCD chainring (I think I've still got the unused chain links that would be needed for the larger chainring so will chuck them in too if I can find them).
Plenty of clearance for mudguards and eyelets for mudguards and rear rack so would be ok as a tourer with its current gearing.

£140 inc post ono.

Re: dawes giro 300 97

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone rate these? Is the cromo butted? Is this just a heavy old anchor? I'm looking at a 97 version locally.

Not much written about them anywhere.

IIRC it's butted - Reynolds 520 or 525 IIRC.
They are nice frames for general purpose audaxing / winter training / commuting.

Re:

Thanks hamster, far as I can see this one isn't Reynolds but if they were in some years then this is probably butted 4130 which is encouraging.

Re:

The one I sold definitely wasn't Reynolds tubing. Don't think the decals said anything other than Cro-mo or I'd have put it in the ad to bump the price up :LOL: Wasn't the lightest bike in the world but not the heaviest but would have said it was probably butted 4130.

Re:

I have the giro 400 of the same era and whilst its not the lightest bike ever, its pretty comfy, has a nice and aggressive geometry for city riding and handles well.

Back