SPEC hand built in Brentwood essex

Rob13166

Retro Newbie
Hi, I've just bought a Specs bike which I think is about 30 years old. Has anyone heard of this company or can offer any info.cheers Rob.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 510
Tricky to see from the photo's but Under BB cable guides, top tube cable guides, Weinmann brakes with nuts, what looks like a La Prade Seat post Plus non aero brakes puts it in the Early 1980's pretty much, perhaps mid eighties at a pinch.

50 years old is probably a tad optimistic :) any pics of the lugs? Is there a Frame number under the BB beginning with a W?

Shaun

Ha sorry the post should have read 30 years which as you say puts it in the 80s.
Thanks for your reply, the only marking on the frame is a 72 stamped by the seat post , is this the type of tubing?
What I know of the company is they would hand build to order but they are long gone now. The guy I bought it off spotted it second hand and had it unused in his shed for years.

I'm with Keithglos, it screams mid to late 70's to me. It *feels* like those alloy wheels weren't on it originally and it would have had chrome steel jobbies. Just a gut feel based on the other components though, no evidence whatsoever :D

Yep the wheels have been replaced, the originals kept going out of shape apparently . I think everything else is the original spec.

Re:

Spec Cycles was/is a bike shop in Benfleet, Essex. Apparently it, along with several other shops, were:

forced to close or relocate after developer Linatrop was granted permission to tear down the shopping parade to build four new shops and 13 flats with an underground car park.

I don't know if they are still in business or not. My guess is they bought in their own branded frames.

If the bars and stem are original then very late 70s early 80s. cinelli didnt make record stem till very late 70s.

I have already mentioned the frame and the connection with the 80's but I'm sure the fork crown is also 80's CCA / C-58 ........that style took over from the MC1 styling of the late 70's.

Shaun

Back