Dwain Chambers

cchris2lou":ffx3wcig said:
he should be banned for life .
taking drugs is not an error of judgement .
But if he was French, he wouldn't be banned. The British know best, eh Chris?

Anthony":293jfnvw said:
cchris2lou":293jfnvw said:
But if he was French, he wouldn't be banned. The British know best, eh Chris?

why not , surely the law is the same for all .

dont know about athletics , but in cycling , to get a pro license , french riders have to give blood 3 times a year . which explains why they are always behind doped italians , belgium and spanish .

I agree with Kingroon - he cheated, was caught, served his punishment, now clean. Let the guy make a living and represent his country.

But then us Brits don't like winners. We love people who enter into the spirit of competition and then celebrate them coming 5th! :roll:

MadCowKev":31p68bzd said:
I agree with Kingroon - he cheated, was caught, served his punishment, now clean. Let the guy make a living and represent his country.

But then us Brits don't like winners. We love people who enter into the spirit of competition and then celebrate them coming 5th! :roll:

agreed about brits not liking winners . I guess it sells more tabloids !!

agreed.

Of course I'd like a winner, but I'd rather have a genuine athlete come fifth than a winner who's cheated.

orange71":26zvufji said:
Of course I'd like a winner, but I'd rather have a genuine athlete come fifth than a winner who's cheated.

Ed I can see your point of view on this. However a lifetime ban is a very harsh punishment and indeed a strong deterant. Lots of pro-athletes are totally reliant on the advice of their coaches, physios and team/association doctors. I'm not saying that makes them innocent but sometimes ill-advised. In my experience pro-athletes aren't generally rocket scientists!

Anyway, back on topic. Chambers has had the mental strength to keep training throughout his ban and for that he should be admired and allowed to race if proved clean. I'd pay to watch him race.

if sporting authorities in all sports want to get rid of cheaters , they need to take strong action .
everybody is pointing the finger at cyclists at the moment , but at least thety are doing something about it .

the day they introduce proper dopping tests in football , rugby , tennis , cricket etc.. they will have a shock .

rant over .

Yes, the shame with Chambers is that, as commentators have said, he had the talent to do great things without taking drugs... the fact that he has had the strength to carry on through all of this shows that - and look at the times he's doing now clean.

Although there is also the argument - what else was he going to do? He already tried American Football and Rugby League unsuccessfully... I'm guessing, but he may not be qualified to do anything else.

cchris2lou":yzowbw12 said:
the day they introduce proper dopping tests in football , rugby , tennis , cricket etc.. they will have a shock .

It won't happen. But would be interesting for sure ;)

Back