VITUS 992 - Full Mavic Group... Mmmmmm Purple Anno...

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sooo... I was into Road Bikes WAY before I got into Mountain bikes... I finally decided to post some of my builds... This came to me as a fully original bike with a shimano 600 ultegra Tri colour build directly from France... it took me close to a year to track down all the Mavic bits and cost quite a bit... Most parts were NOS...(they have a couple rides on them now...) I was going to put Shamals on it because they are my favorite but the purple anno or these vento's is a perfect match =)

Yes... I have the 5/6 speed mavic rear derailleur running on a 9 speed campy cassette... this does work beautifully, however took a LONG time to setup... the mavic rear is FULLY adjustable =)

Enjoy!

Re:

:shock: Wow, what a bike, purple and Mavic. I feel you've made something a bit special there. :cool:

I can imagine it took a long time to collect those parts! Are those Mavic rear mechs special like Paul's for example? They are called Mavic Erector's right? (I basically know nothing about road bikes :oops:)

MynameisCasper":1csvffet said:
I can imagine it took a long time to collect those parts! Are those Mavic rear mechs special like Paul's for example? They are called Mavic Erector's right? (I basically know nothing about road bikes :oops:)

Thanks!

Some of the Mavic parts are super hard to find... The brake calipers and levers are NOS and cost $450 US... Yikes! I try not to think about it...

The front and rear derailleur are from the ssc group and are not too hard to find

Rear derailleur is the Mavic 851 SSC, they were nice kit back in the 80s

Lovely looking bike, I would have liked to see it built with Mavic 501 hubs built onto some Mavic GP 4 tubular rims or if you must have clinchers some Mavic Open 4 CD rims

47p2":4dkg1cx2 said:
Rear derailleur is the Mavic 851 SSC, they were nice kit back in the 80s

Lovely looking bike, I would have liked to see it built with Mavic 501 hubs built onto some Mavic GP 4 tubular rims or if you must have clinchers some Mavic Open 4 CD rims

Thx! Yup you are not the first person to suggest that =)

For me I think shamal's (or Vento 16) are the coolest wheels $ can buy. I will slowly be posting more of my road rides... I also have Shamals on my CIOCC and on my other vitus 992 =)

that mavic stuff is still out there then. may i be so bold as to ask about the crank dust cover's? not seen that type before. i have a starfish set but have been told there are two thread types .

oonaff":27r0qat9 said:
that mavic stuff is still out there then. may i be so bold as to ask about the crank dust cover's? not seen that type before. i have a starfish set but have been told there are two thread types .

The dust covers are just generic metal ones as the oem ones were (I think) plastic. Both starfish cranks had the same threads, only difference between the two is the diameter of the spider. This is the large starfish spider one. The other has a noticeably smaller starfish spider

Back