Suntour XC Pro crank arms refurb

lewis1641":17wbc6y9 said:
one quick question - on an average of one cup per 2.5 hours, how many cups should i budget for to get similar results?

Oh I'd reckon at least 4 or 5.... :shock:

I did one arm each night and TBH you can get a perfectly reasonable finish in probably half the time I took, but it depends how picky you are....I'm pretty picky :oops:

guybe":17wbc6y9 said:
excellent job, noticed the chainrings is Cannondale, didnt know they make them, it's a first I have seen though

Yeah was news to me too, but I liked the colour :LOL:
It actually says on it that it's made by FSA, whether it is sold on C'Dale bikes as a standard item, I really don't know

Those came out really good. Excellent work. Good work out too, me thinks. I am really liking all these polished out cranks lately. :)

Cheers all :D

Will get some better pics up soon in readers wives...er bikes, as I've made a few other changes.

That's an amazing finish, great work.

I've been toying with the idea of a similar project, without wanting to seem too stupid - what materials did you use to prepare and polish?

Also, how has the finish lasted over the last 8 months?

LC

bennyboy":1cvndy1n said:
sinnett177":1cvndy1n said:
Very nice, polished by hand or using a bench polisher?

By hand :oops:

240, 400, 600, 800, 1200, Autosol, Safe-cut and lots of Tea :LOL:

:D That's what I used, differing grades of wet + dry, then the Autosol. HOWEVER - I have since switched to Meguiars Metal Polysh (sic), as it is finer and leaves a protective layer of sorts. After 8 months it still looks the same :cool:

Thanks for the tips guys, i committed myself to starting the project as the rain fell today.

Using the same technique - 240, 400, 600, 800 and a final rub over with a 1200 and extreme buffing with Autosol. I didnt stop for a cup of tea, which may have been beginners error, however this is the fruit of my labour thus far.

main.php

Okay, so nowhere near as shiny as bennyboys Suntour, there remain some powder coat in the creases (maybe need to get a dremel on this) and i didnt fix the battle scars (thought it was a nice contrast), but i'm pleased with my efforts and the 'make do and mend' proverb has prevented me chucking these and spending a load on a new chainset.

Thanks again.

Back