Raleigh Gran Course 531 frame question. Confused!

dadstardeluxe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am a little confused. I have recently acquired a second Gran Course frame from 1984 (both the same year), they both have 531c tubing, but one has Gipiemme dropouts front and rear and one has Campagnolo dropouts front and rear - I know these were frame only options in the '84 catalogue (stated as Gipiemme dropouts), but why would Raleigh have used different dropouts?
Any help would be welcome.

Re:

Very late reply sorry but just to say my Gran Course has Campag dropouts as well, I think all we are seeing here is proof these are hand built frames, for some reason lost to the sands of time the person building these decided to do something a bit different on at least a couple of them.

This is one i sold a couple of weeks ago

1bcd222b8a387a340c220d54a1da8e7d_zps0f0bec73.jpg

56e6926f9616525909005fdf831adee6_zps3ae33e36.jpg

Chromed GIPEMME

As davkt said, I think this is down to what was 'at hand' at the Lightweight unit in Nottingham when these were being built

English craftsmanship at it's best :)

MrW":e0at07wz said:
As davkt said, I think this is down to what was 'at hand' at the Lightweight unit in Nottingham when these were being built

Yup, whatever the dropouts they still makes a great fun ride! I know round the web some folks complain it is very twitchy handling, sure it is more lively than something with a longer wheelbase but its a race frame not a tourer and ride it like you mean it and it is perfectly predictable.
With 28mm gatorskins, cheapest 28mm innertubes I could find and a Brooks B17 mine is only 10.3kg, and it isn't a particularly light build, it was my dream bike when I first started work in the mid 80s but parts were more about affordability than weight! Mostly 105/RX100 with a few other bits and bobs as well.

MrW":1itdadng said:

You can see them at work here...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAYxWCXF8A[/youtube]

Telling me raleigh used to be really good is like telling a bloke with no legs that he'd be comfier sitting down.

Back