my new raleigh clubman

zed

Retro Guru
i had this dropped of this am, i got it off of ebay for £50 , i love it , ill change the tape, but ill not change much else, its a bit bigger than my new rides, but looks more era correct like this, nice to ride, doea anyone no much about them ? thanks paul :D
konakilauea005-1.jpg

konakilauea003-6.jpg

konakilauea007-3.jpg

konakilauea004-5.jpg

konakilauea011-3.jpg

konakilauea009-2.jpg

konakilauea019-1.jpg

its got campagnolo 980 mechs , and levers, mallard hubs, b17 saddle, weinmancenter pulls + levers,

frame number bh211tb

Nice bike for the money. Probably very comfortable to ride.

I'm trying to remember and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 531 transfer in this style mean that only the main triangle tubes are 531? There were subtle differences between transfers that meant various things.

If so, this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the frame, Raleigh would have used decent tubing for the rest of it as well!

I remember this bike from my youth, it was around £180 in bout 1985ish, yours looks in excellent condition. It is indeed 531 main tubes only, the saddle is new, but the brakes, gears and possibly chainset (if it's SR) are original, as possibly are the wheels.

I think it ran 73 degree parallel frame angles, and was one rung down from the Record Ace, which had 531 forks as well, and (I think) Campag Gran Sport gears - otherwise similar.

HTH

wow thanks for that , so its 1983 , great to read the spec, so not much has changed from new, ive also got that rack, i took it off as not using it, its realy light, i cant wait to take it apart and give it a major overhaul, sadly there is a little dent on the TT , and a bad scratch down the DT , its been badly covered up, ill try and sort that abit better, thanks again, this bike was just what i was after , as adi a bit large for me but more than ridable for me, its because im use to smaller mtb frames, :D

paul

I like the original dealer sticker. A nice clean and polish, and replace that bar tape and she'll look gorgeous.

i liked that aswell, yep new tape on its way, i remember that tape from the early 90's yuk and its falling apart, not that would of stopped me changing it lol, :LOL:

'here's Gordon Singleton, quoted on that catalogue page, winning the 1982 World Keirin final at the Leicester velodrome on his Raleigh: '

Yes, I remember that 'cos I was there! (also appeared on the telly in crowd shots!) Great clips along with ones showing the saga of the sprint champs with Nakano. Gordon was robbed! If you look at these, look out for the late great Eddie Soens pushing Gordon off at the start.

Didn't he have a serious injury that paralysed him a few years later?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but a bit of 'retro' nostalgia!

thats realy interesting mate, ill go search the web ;) i love raleigh's as my mum worked for moore large , so i always had a raleigh from a young age, then in 82 got my raleigh burner, not there best built bike, but a popular one, i got a skyway ta the year later , then a pk ripper , and after that got stolen :cry: a dp firebird freestyler, since then the only other raleigh ive had was a royal in 92 , then a m2 burner last year, it was crap, and now this, and this is sweet, :D

paul

Back