2001 Rock Lobster 853 new makeover & ride report page 3.

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Having just ridden what the wettest winter for...well a long time, my Santa Cruz's components have been wrecked and been a real drain on the wallet to replace/service! Don't get me wrong I still love it but can't afford to replace the XTR drivetrain after every winter! So, to follow the route of some others on here, and to heed repeated suggestions! I have gone for a winter mud hack bike build.

After some guidance from Makster and Painter I decided on the frame being a Rock Lobster...Steel 853 tubes but the disc tab version. After a couple of months scouring ebay (it seemed that there was never a big enough one!) I finally found this 2001 midnight blue pearl 20" frame! Not seen many in this colour and was hoping that the paint would be in better condition than in reality it is! Not terrible but fair amount of chain slap and some rash rust...but I have to keep reminding myself its a winter hack!

I want it to work well and reliably so have gone for a mid skool parts build! In the spares box I had an XT M750 rear mech and LX M571 chainset and XT BB, LX M570 shifters and a pewter coloured Ritchey seat post. I have coming to me a pair of Sunringle disc hubs/Ryde rim wheels, some Rockshox Reba SL and a complete Avid Juicy disc brake set, (thanks to racingsnake for that!). Some bits I have yet to source are:

- Top pull front mech, 28.6mm Shimano M750 M571 whatever is cheap!
- Stem and riser bars. I'm hoping to go for Easton Monkeys/matching stem.
- A Flite saddle, might just stick the white syncros saddle thats spare.

Tyres are a big deal to me, they need to grip well at lower speed through sloppy mud. Having seen the benefit of good mud tyres this winter I want this ride to have the suitable rubber! I have had Bonty's Mud tyres on the Santa Cruz and they were great! So my first thoughts are to just go for the same tyres in 26" flavour, but I want to look at other choices too. So at the moment these are the front runners!

- Bontrager Mud XR Team
- Maxxis Beaver or Medusa
- Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic

Think it will probably be the Bontys if I can get them cheap enough!

So this is how it stands at the moment...a frame waiting to live again! If I like it I might treat it to a new paint job we'll see!

Doug

Attachments

• img_1563.jpg
    img_1563.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1559.jpg
    img_1559.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1560.jpg
    img_1560.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1565.jpg
    img_1565.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1561.jpg
    img_1561.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1564.jpg
    img_1564.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1558.jpg
    img_1558.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • img_1562.jpg
    img_1562.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,077
Re: "Dun dun dun dada dada da da" Winter Hack Rock Lobster 853!

Love these!! Signing up

Re: Re:

suburbanreuben":1enqh2fe said:
A blast from the past
Are they still going?

Yeah I think they still do surf boards, not sure about skateboards or snowboards...they used to do clothing too, I still have an old G&S hoody somewhere!

!

Right, I am known for my impatience and the Lobster has been no exception! Its finished and I took it on its maiden voyage this afternoon. I have tried to mimic the ride position of my Santa Cruz and its not far off, it could possibly benefit from a shorter stem but for now its pretty close. I T-cutted the frame and it came up surprisingly well, so that is being left as is for now.

Went for Maxxis Beaver tyres in the end which seem to perform well... Toying with going for a single ring up front as I went for a 11-34T cassette and found myself mainly in the middle ring (32T). The ride was superb and I love the mix of old school geometry and newish school components. I ended up buying new deore disc brakes but still running 180mm rotor front and 160mm rear, but at £70 for a complete set, bled and ready to fit it was a no brainer! I have to say I am very impressed with the brakes and they work very well almost as good as the XTR on the Santa Cruz. The Reba SL forks are performing nicely too good for the money for sure. The total bike weight is just under 26lbs which is fine by me, could be lighter if I tried harder but it was supposed to be a budget build!

The only downside was operator error! Got a puncture around mile 7... had a puncture repair kit so thought all was ok. Stopped and sorted the puncture then the core of the valve snapped and shot out! Never happened to me before but that was game over for the ride and a call to Mrs Wookiee to come and pic me up! Should have had a spare tube on me but didn't. Too used to tubeless on the SC!

So here are a few pics of its first fully complete version...I am sure it will morph over time but this is it for now!

Doug

Attachments

• tweak 10.jpg
    tweak 10.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 9.jpg
    tweak 9.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 8.jpg
    tweak 8.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 7.jpg
    tweak 7.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 6.jpg
    tweak 6.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 2.jpg
    tweak 2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 1.jpg
    tweak 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 867
Re:

A couple more pics:

Attachments

• tweak 3.jpg
    tweak 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 4.jpg
    tweak 4.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 867
  • tweak 5.jpg
    tweak 5.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 867
Re:

Very nice!
Great frames for the money these.
We'll have to get a Lobster ride sorted ;-)

Back