the master at work on jango's wheels

Iwasgoodonce":3fc5hn9o said:
I think I have always been worried about building my own wheels. Is it as hard as it looks?

I had a go a couple of years ago. It took about an evening per wheel, and at the end I hadn't got the spokes right so that they crossed over the valve (but then again I've bought wheels from shops that were like that!)

The first hundred or so miles on them were scary as I worried that they would fold up any time, but they have remained strong and true ever since.

It's not so difficult if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical competence.

BUT the good guys are waaay faster and more consistent. It's a bit like DIY bricklaying and seeing a pro do it - they use less effort, are faster and produce a better end result. Practice makes perfect.

tony i do mail order wheels you pm me rims hubs your using or let me know what your after i send you a quote and im doing retro rates for mates ;) ;) you say ya or na then i do them and get them posted to ya :cool: :cool: (open to anyone in the uk :cool: )

i build the wheel in my lap then adjust spokes until until the threads are gone ..then quarter turn each nipple until its tight all the way round then i stick it in the bike...then i spend two days trueing it ....love the egg shapes i create...its my birthday on the 27th ..some one could give me a park wheel jig for a pressie to a fellow biker(big creepy grin)..... :LOL: :LOL:

Back