Dave Lloyd 91

Properly, properly gorgeous- love that top tube- colour coded flex stem looks ace too! Superb lovely slightly ecccentric English MTB- Well done that man!

Immaculate!

The pedals are growing on me. I did a set once in that respect, in response to inquires I told folks "they're not for your feet, they're just for looking at.

Excuse me while I stare at your pictures some more. :)

Thanks again for all the great comments I might have to put it up for BOTM in the future. :D
I was thinking about the brake levers but I just love the feel of the old Shimano ones, and they came up so nice when I polished them.
I am not going to get to rides these for a few months now, as I have just come out of hospital having had an incisional hernia repair. Still gives me more time to spend on this website. :cool:

ocset said:
The ‘Dave Lloyd Project’, as it has become known in my house, has taken me just shy of six months to complete, but I am delighted with the overall result. I purchased the frame new in ‘91 and have been meaning to restore it for the last few years. When I bought the frame I was only a school boy, and I would go down to the local bike shop just to see it in the window. It was the high end detail in the frame and the smooth joints that attracted me to it. After saving in earnest, I managed to persuade the shop owner to sell me just the frame and forks (as the complete bike was way out of my league). I rode the bike throughout my teenage years and into my twenties.
It was always my intention to restore the bike with the full care and attention that it deserved. This meant that a new paint job was in store for it, and after some deliberation, the Gulf racing colours where chosen. Thanks to the interweb I was able to get the correct Porsche colour codes.
I then set to purchasing all the required components. I wanted to get that new bike look so went for NOS where I could.

The Spec:-

Frame: Dave Lloyd 1991 (Reynolds 531)
Fork: Dave Lloyd P2
Headset: Campagnolo
Stem: Girvin Flexstem (Painted to match frame)
Handlebar: Sticky Ti (NOS)
Grips: ODI Attack (NOS)
Brakes: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza (NOS)
Brake Levers: Shimano
Shifters: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Chainrings: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Bottom Bracket: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Pedals: Tioga (painted to match frame)
Skewers: Ringle
Rims: Mavic energy M7CD
Hubs: Shimano XT
Tyres: Panaracer Timbuk II (NEW)
Saddle: Rolls (NOS)
Seatpost: Campagnolo (Clamp Painted to match frame).

I must take this opportunity to thank my old man for bringing his air compressor out of retirement and giving up his free time to carefully spray all the parts for me!
:cool:

That is a blast from the past!
I too live in southport and i had a dave lloyd. Mine had the same mavic wheels, rolls saddle, tioga surefoot pedals, flexstem. Basically everything yours has except the nos you have is different. Mine was fitted for me on a jig by dave lloyd in neston on the wirral. It was a 17 in 531 with p2 forks. It also had a black and orange check paint job.

What a coincidence!

ocset said:
The ‘Dave Lloyd Project’, as it has become known in my house, has taken me just shy of six months to complete, but I am delighted with the overall result. I purchased the frame new in ‘91 and have been meaning to restore it for the last few years. When I bought the frame I was only a school boy, and I would go down to the local bike shop just to see it in the window. It was the high end detail in the frame and the smooth joints that attracted me to it. After saving in earnest, I managed to persuade the shop owner to sell me just the frame and forks (as the complete bike was way out of my league). I rode the bike throughout my teenage years and into my twenties.
It was always my intention to restore the bike with the full care and attention that it deserved. This meant that a new paint job was in store for it, and after some deliberation, the Gulf racing colours where chosen. Thanks to the interweb I was able to get the correct Porsche colour codes.
I then set to purchasing all the required components. I wanted to get that new bike look so went for NOS where I could.

The Spec:-

Frame: Dave Lloyd 1991 (Reynolds 531)
Fork: Dave Lloyd P2
Headset: Campagnolo
Stem: Girvin Flexstem (Painted to match frame)
Handlebar: Sticky Ti (NOS)
Grips: ODI Attack (NOS)
Brakes: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza (NOS)
Brake Levers: Shimano
Shifters: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Chainrings: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Bottom Bracket: Suntour XC Pro (NOS)
Pedals: Tioga (painted to match frame)
Skewers: Ringle
Rims: Mavic energy M7CD
Hubs: Shimano XT
Tyres: Panaracer Timbuk II (NEW)
Saddle: Rolls (NOS)
Seatpost: Campagnolo (Clamp Painted to match frame).

I must take this opportunity to thank my old man for bringing his air compressor out of retirement and giving up his free time to carefully spray all the parts for me!

Andrew,
Welcome to the site. My bike was originally fitted with Campagnolo when it was in the shop but I was only a kid so bought just the frame moving the group set from my old bike on to this. I did gradually upgrade to Suntour XC Pro over a few years. When this year I decided to rebuild the bike I wanted to keep the Suntour group set, but replaced it all with new old stock parts. I do remember someone in school (Might have been you!) having a black and orange one, it had a crackle affect to the orange paint although I might be wrong, it is 18 years ago. Mine was originally blue and pink. I have just found this photo of it before the rebuild. What happened to your bike?

Attachments

• DSCF0011alow res.jpg
    DSCF0011alow res.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,009
dave lloyd

I saw that bike frame with Euclid on at formby cycles on harrington road. He got that one in because he saw mine. St Marys college old boy. I swapped mine for a radio controlled car. I could possibly get it back for about a hundred pound seeing as i still know who has it. What do you think. Shall i try and get it back!

Back