Orange X1 & MM2013 **Up-date**

Re: Orange X1 'Citrus Fresh'

ahh the class of 1986 !

Sinclair ZX Spectrums, Yamaha FS1E's and Sam Fox before she
burst my bubble by announcing she was off to bat for the other team

Re: Orange X1 'Citrus Fresh'

Ok in a moment of madness another X1 has found its way into the Man Cave :D So impressed with my first and as it also got the seal of approval from Commander in chief Home Forces (The Wife) who also expressed and interest in owning one, (She already has a modern Diamond Back Full Susser but she is slowly coming around to the Retro scene) :D Anyway digressing slightly and before we move onto the new addition a few updates on my Orange/Chrome X1.

The Strata Shock was removed, although it seemed to be holding air ok, and replaced with a Fox Alps 5R which i must say has really improved the feel and response of the bike. Simple swap as it shares the same size bushes as the Strata. I've got a couple of set of wheels ready for Mountain Mayhem this year so the Hope/Mavic's are now on the new addition as a temporary measure and some black rimmed Deore/Mavic's now grace the bike. Crud guards were swapped over as the Orange clashed with the Yellow on the new addition.

New X1 is a size Medium, with Remote Lock out on the Strata Shock, and Colour co-ordinating Rockshox Judy Forks. Age wise its 1996 with Canti Hanger built into the URT. Currently in the process of getting some Supercross riser bars for it, hence the Hot Rods are temp measure. The Red Angry saddle will stay as will the Orange Seatpost. I've got some Black LX Canti's so may go down the LX route with this build :D

Anyway here are some pictures,i will let them do the talking :D

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 665
Re: Orange X1 'Citrus Fresh' +1 **Up-date**

I didn't think this one would pass you by ;)

Really pleased to know it went to a good home, with lockout rear shock and colour coded Rock Shox it's more than a little special.

The voices in my head kept telling me to buy it, I'm so glad I resisted
Looking forward to see it once you've put it back together

Off to blow the cobwebs off mine tomorrow at Long Mynd :D

Re: Orange X1 'Citrus Fresh' +1 **Up-date**

Ok so a small post Mountain Mayhem 2013 update on the X1 :D

After being a spectator so many times at Mountain Mayhem I decided to put in on my bucket list and give it a go. Last year I was getting married so couldn't take part for fear of breaking a bone prior to the big day, but this year saw my calender free and so I signed up for entry into Mountain Mayhem 2013.

We arrived on the Friday afternoon, my good lady wife Laura was working Mountain Mayhem as she does every year helping to provide important First Aid Cover with the 'North Staffordshire Voluntary First Aid Service' for the event. The sun was shining and we got the tent set up and settled in. Friday evening saw the onset of wind and rain and so the once dry course became a mud pit although not as bad as Eastnor last year. Saturday morning it did ease but the course was already sodden and after the start at midday of the race it soon started to claim its victims. Broken rear mech hangers and snapped chains soon became a regular site and even a broken front axle at the start saw one competitor carrying her bike the rest of the way round the 8 mile course so she could claim a lap. Anyway my turn came up at 17:00 and I ventured out to the paddock area to await my team mate and the obligatory handover of the baton. A few dodgy moments resulting in a couple of off's was all I suffered with just scrapes and grazes to show for my efforts. The climbs were steep and saw even the hardened pro getting off to push. Downhills were great fun with the 'Red Bull' timed section proving to be particularly fast. final time for the 8 mile course was a respectable 1 Hour 29 Minutes. Not bad for a 43 Year Old Rider and a 16 Year old MTB. Needless to say I was pleased as punch.

A few thanks must go out to Tim (justbackdated) who provided me with much info on pressures for my Pace RC38 Forks. John and the rest of the Retrobike Family for making me feel welcome and at home, especially the BBQ and Real Ale. Retro Spud for also proving that despite X1's having a Marmite Stigma about them, they could still hold it out there with the big boys and the ££££££'s Carbon bikes. Sarah (Team Captain) for doing the Run & First Lap, and for keeping us all in check, and the rest of the team and supporters who despite the grim weather still kept smiling made the weekend excellent from start to finish. My gorgeous wife Laura who has supported my love for Retrobikes, and also provided much needed medical care for the riders who came a cropper over the weekend. And lastly Princess Anne, for letting us play in her back garden, lets hope we get invited back next year and that the rain stays away.

Right I will let the pics speak for themselves, needless to say my X1 delivered perfect results, no mechanical failures and attracted a lot of attention during the weekend, at one point it was even called 'Beautiful' :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4748.jpg
    IMG_4748.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_4763.jpg
    IMG_4763.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_4749.jpg
    IMG_4749.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 602
rasumichin":3o0ufhk3 said:
Great story and great bike! I dig that early full sussers.
Ride on!

Your not wrong buddy !

I was lucky enough to see this in the flesh at MM2013 its mint :cool:
Have to agree there is a certain raw'ness about early full sussers both in looks and ride.
Most modern full bouncers in my LBS are unappealing and bland in their design

Have just read the entire thread and thoroughly enjoyed it :D ...can totally relate to the long round trip to pick up something you really want ....and all I can say is that if this is a "Marmite" bike then I love Marmite

Eddie King":txovukfp said:
Have just read the entire thread and thoroughly enjoyed it :D ...can totally relate to the long round trip to pick up something you really want ....and all I can say is that if this is a "Marmite" bike then I love Marmite

Ed
all I can say is buy one, but just don't expect anyone to reply to your build thread as there is very little love for them on here.

I love mine

Retro Spud":1jlzociw said:
Eddie King":1jlzociw said:

Ed
all I can say is buy one, but just don't expect anyone to reply to your build thread as there is very little love for them on here.

I love mine

Very little love apart from those that have owned and ridden one, geez I own three X1's and an X2, as Led Zeppelin once said that's a 'Whole Lotta Love'...........

Back