Well... it's a TREK :O

I had the same Trek 850 I rode it to work for years, wore the rear rim out and it split.

Unfortunatly the frame was plagued with incorrectly jigged seatstays, rear wheel would sit central in the chainstays but one seatstay was a lot closer to the tyre than the other.

Also had the same problem but worse on a Diamond Back AscentEx and a flatland BMX as well

Never seen a roller thingy used on a v-brake - is that how it's intended or something you've decided to do? :cool:

I own and ride a Trek... and I like it. Seems you like yours too. Good stuff.

I remember those 850s coming out in ''97 or '98 and loved the colour in that satin finish. The 800 series Treks were built in Taiwan weren't they?

If memory serves, of the steel Treks it was the 900 series that were made in the US? I think they're not as well built as those from Taiwan... the welds on my US made 970 looked rubbish, though it is still being ridden so they must have been strong enough.... and the bloke I sold it too wont sell it back damn his eyes!

BG":s7rye8g9 said:
I own and ride a Trek... and I like it. Seems you like yours too. Good stuff.

I remember those 850s coming out in ''97 or '98 and loved the colour in that satin finish. The 800 series Treks were built in Taiwan weren't they?

If memory serves, of the steel Treks it was the 900 series that were made in the US? I think they're not as well built as those from Taiwan... the welds on my US made 970 looked rubbish, though it is still being ridden so they must have been strong enough.... and the bloke I sold it too wont sell it back damn his eyes!

This frame is as the sticker says: Made in the USA with domestic and foreign parts.
Built quality is pretty high, I got this frame from a 65 years old guy that used to ride his Trek everyday and was the oryginal owner. It came with these wheels too!
When you look at Trek 990 Cro-moly frame you can see that it is identical but just one thing, there are no hooks for seat clamp. The 990 has an aluminium collar there. Rest of the frame is just identical. I bet if I stripped this frame to bare metal, cut off seat clamp hooks and paint it in 990 color scheme no one would have any idea its an 850 in changed clothing ;)

As for roller things installed on brakes, these are designed to be used with brakes and derailleurs... and look sooooo coool on brakes don't you think? :cool:

Some more photos:

Attachments

• 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,163
capri_77":fvglhb2h said:
As for roller things installed on brakes, these are designed to be used with brakes and derailleurs... and look sooooo coool on brakes don't you think? :cool:

NICE BIKE! Very nice choice of components!
Had to get used to the choice of colors but in the end I liked it and still do!

Those Altek brake levers are actually the canti version. With the rollamajig thingy at the v-brake you will probably have enough cable pull to make it work?

obi-wan-mtb":9b3v15aq said:
Those Altek brake levers are actually the canti version. With the rollamajig thingy at the v-brake you will probably have enough cable pull to make it work?

I had no idea these are canti version... work great with v-brakes. I had Avid v-brake levers before and they pulled just as much cable...
Are you positive these are for cantis?

Back