Size of road wheels

Hi people, I lost this post as it moved!

Thanks for the input. I'm going to source some 27" tyres. Panaracer pasala's can still be bought for 17.99 from my local bike shop so that's promising. The struggle is going to be singlepeeding it - any ideas?

Why will the size of the wheels make single speeding hard? A hub is a hub, it has no bearing (no pun intended) on the rim.

Or am I missing the point?

If it's a non cassette hub fixing it should be no problem all you will need is a threaded sprocket and a lockring ( as I recall an english old style bb lockring will fit)

Ah the joy of fixed, 69" or 67" all winter - certainly used to feel weird when you went back to freewheel in the spring !

Hi guys,

thanks for all the advice & sorry for the absence...

I'd liek to singlespeed it, pretty sure it's a nopn cassette style rear hub which has a 5 speed block on the back at mo. so best way to sort it is to get a single cog & lockring? where to I get these?

Found some 27inch Panaracer pasala on sjs cycles website - sorted!

Well, now, guess what I've just done - stuck 700c wheels in place of 27" jobbies on my old 531, bought c. 1988 and barely used since...

Bike has mudguard eyes and I found it was a little tight running 27" wheels and tyres, plus wheels were old, had a freewheel not cassette and frankly, 27" stuff is hard to find.

Saw some second hand handbuilt MA3 on 105 combos on CTC site, and £45 later...

Lessons: 1. 27" wheels diameter is 630 mm; 700c is 622mm so you need 4mm of drop left in your brakes - if not got that, plenty of long drop ones out there, eg Spa cycles do the Alhonga dual pivots

2. "Cold setting" steel frames: spoke to a chap at Condor, and he said "don't bother" if it's 126mm spacing and you're going to 130 (modern road spacing) - and he was right, it's easy just to pull the back end apart

3. Old gears work OK with modern cassettes (I have Shimano 600EX from '80s) - but I fitted a new chain just in case

I should have gone metric new wheelie years ago, they transform the bike...

Back