Help ID my '97 S Works (?) Stumpy Comp M2 please!

bennyboy":2au0i8c2 said:
As mentioned above, I've had a look at the number on the drop out.

It starts 7S4M, then five low serial numbers. 7 for 97 and the S for Stumpjumper :?:

There is also a J on its own and 6061 which I'd guess is the aluminium.

Any further help here?

Uhh, Yeah.. My own resprayed and mislabeled-as-S-works '95 Stumpjumper M2 conveniently had a serial number starting with '95' and I kind of assumed they'd be consistent. Sorry about that.

Dating Specialized

Hi Guys
My take on it is that it is 7=97, S=S works, not stumpy and 4= april.
That makes it a april 97 S works. :D
I will double check as I have just arrived home after a long day and its 2 am, so as Frank Zappa said ' I may be totally wrong cause I'm a fool'
Will double check with my shed dwellers.
Jamie

Also M stands for where it was built.

Thanks for the info Jamie, anything else you can confirm would be :cool:

So if that's the case, are the stickers right/period correct?
I'm not toooo bothered, but the excuse to refurb the frame could come in handy... ;)

To be honest it looks like a standard 96/97 Stumpy comp to me?

Shame about the messed up decaling? Specialized would have supplied either a complete S-Works decal kit or Stumpjumper Comp kit depending on the frame number so why the variation?

S works

Hi Ben
Sorry to take so long but yeah it looks like the numbers match to an S works. Just has a mixture of decals. Have a look at the top tube where it meets the head tube and the welded triangle where they join, on top and see if has an S on the triangle. It should be stamped into it. As far as I know only the s works have this. I could be wrong :roll: but I think this is correct. Anyway the numbers and sequence say S works to me. They are similar to both of mine. I will try to get a picture of the S I mean.
Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I was wondering, did the 97 S-Works not have visible butting on the seat tube? (I may be thinking of something else here, but do seem to remember there being more detail to the S-Works than decals)

Jamiedyer":1yfaz3yx said:
Hi Ben
Have a look at the top tube where it meets the head tube and the welded triangle where they join, on top and see if has an S on the triangle. It should be stamped into it. As far as I know only the s works have this. I could be wrong :roll: but I think this is correct. Anyway the numbers and sequence say S works to me. They are similar to both of mine. I will try to get a picture of the S I mean.
Cheers
Jamie

Yep, has the triangle with the embossed S :D Thanks Jamie, maybe a respray and sticker is in order....

sastusbulbas":1yfaz3yx said:
Hi Jamie,

I was wondering, did the 97 S-Works not have visible butting on the seat tube? (I may be thinking of something else here, but do seem to remember there being more detail to the S-Works than decals)

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you run your hand down the seat tube from the top, you can feel the wider diameter as it smooths into the slightly smaller one. :?:

sastusbulbas":1yfaz3yx said:
To be honest it looks like a standard 96/97 Stumpy comp to me?

Shame about the messed up decaling? Specialized would have supplied either a complete S-Works decal kit or Stumpjumper Comp kit depending on the frame number so why the variation?

Yeah as I say, I bought it knowing it had a respray and remember the guy telling me something about the stickers and the model, but its 10 years ago and my memory was a bit :oops:
I think the guy's son used to work in a shop and was able to buy scratched frames etc cheap and refinish them. He had loads of stuff, used to race too, if only I could remember his name.
And to think I went there to buy a rockhopper frame off him :LOL:
I spotted this and picked it up, just couldn't believe how light it was and kinda had to have it!

Back