The Manitou HT ..Update 10/10/14

unit3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Decided to do a build on this one now as the other projects waiting in the wings just aren't floating my boat at the moment, all needing this,that ,or the other.

So here she is. 1997 Manitou HT in very good condition, I got the opportunity to purchase this from Passiflora at a very fair price. :cool:
It came with 2 headset cups, these help to do 2 things, 1 downsize the headtube to 1.1/8, and 2 they add extra strength as we all know how these Mani's like to crack :facepalm:

It is known that the later frames are made slightly different and are less prone to cracks, but it still got a good going over with a beady eye!

The frame came with dedicated Manitou/ringle seat post and Manitou stem in 1.1/4, im not sure I am going to use the stem yet, I will see how I get on with the build.

The frame...

What I like most about these frames is the great CNC work in the rear triangles..

Im still working on a spec list for this build, it may well change as I go, and not everyone will like it but I think it will work out well.

Stay tuned! :p

Re:

:p

Nial, she looks beautiful as ever.

The sun really brings out the shine and the frame is so so light.

I would say lighter than a Klein...and I have had both.. :cool:

The cnc on these frames and the welds are beautiful.

Watching and waiting :cool:

Re: The Que jumper.. Manitou HT ..

That frame looks the business and i can't wait for the next update ;) ..

Re: The Q! jumper.. Manitou HT ..

So I spent a bit of time today out on the patio in the sun trial fitting a couple of bits.

Fitted a new Kooka headset, I know its not period,but its understated and I got it for a song on the bay :cool:

Fitted up a pair of Re-issue Smoke and Darts onto a pair of mavic 121 ceramics I have had sitting for a while,I think they work well on the Manitou, the wheels are built with black spokes onto XT hubs, Im thinking of getting these changed as even though they have never been used, they don't quite work with the rims/age.

Also offered up a set of judy SL's and a syncros stem to see how it looks, the yellow matches the decals, but I think the 97- judy's would work better if anybody has a set? ;)

More to come when I decide what groupset to run, im leaning towards XTR m950 :?:

I like what i see although i'm inclined to agree about the wheels but i'd personally i'd keep the forks and the Ahead stem looks fine ;) ..

Re:

Nial I think a polished answer atac stem would look great.

I like the ceramics the decals match well, you also need a yellow flite :cool:

I have a set of mavic crossride with yellow hubs and decals :)

Nick

Re:

Thanks guy's. :)

The rims are are staying I think, but going to talk to my wheel guy about changing hubs......maybe?

I agree about the stem, dosnt fit in. I will have a look through the shed for another.

Nick, I have a yellow flite but the modern version, but I have a couple for re covering ;-)

This looks like a great build. If you decide to go with the Judy's you've got and V's I have a brace in great condition without the cable hanger I'd happily swap for yours with the hanger as need one for the Mrs's bike. Tim

Minifreak":vvlq689o said:
This looks like a great build. If you decide to go with the Judy's you've got and V's I have a brace in great condition without the cable hanger I'd happily swap for yours with the hanger as need one for the Mrs's bike. Tim

Thanks mate :)
Im looking to go m950 inc V's so im up for a swap on the brace front, drop me a PM and we can go from there if you want. :cool:

Back