Riding fixed - all it is cracked up to be?

After using it a couple of years in Manchester, I brought a fixed with me to Denmark when I moved here in 94 and ran it into the ground over the following 2 years. In the days before ebay, I couldn't get parts to keep it running (wasn't willing to pay Record and Dura-Ace prices for a hack bike) so scrapped it.

Thanks to the availability of parts on ebay, campyoldy and the fixie fashion phenomenon, I am back on a fixed now for short trips... And loving it more than ever.

ededwards":1k5t7jjw said:
Yep, definitely a two brake man.

Was using 48x18 ss but pretty sure the fixed sprocket is a 20t so will see what Campag pattern chainrings I have although I fear 53t is the only option which will I guess give too high a gear and too short a chain (and chain is almost new)

53 x 20 is close to 42x15 - just marginally lower so easier climbs

A long chain though

Another alternative 39x14

Thanks mate, was planning on looking at a gear chart today so you have saved me a job. Choice looks to be a longer chain or a new sprocket so will probably go with the former and reuse the chain on an offroad ss.

Thanks again

doctor-bond":kt7mzfas said:
Have you heard of the PistaDex doctor-bond?

Have now, cheers :)

Will keep an eye on bike snob, it tickled me.

I've got my eye on a campag pista chainset at the mo. So if the fixie apocalpyse has truly set in then pistadex should mean I'm in for a bargain.

Funnyiest blog on the web :LOL:

2 brakes for me too :)

Fixed, free, on-road, off-road, SS, 3-speed, 30 speed, recumbant, tandem, 'cross, unicycle, long-tail, rigid, hardtail, full-suspension, belt-drive, chain drive, no-drive, trike, speedway, BMX, 4x, downhill, uphill, no-hills, three brakes, no brakes, coaster brakes, track, field, mountain, road....

Bikes are great.

Ride what you like - thank goodness there are so many ways to ride a bike!

:LOL:

Max P":2p0zy58s said:
Fixed, free, on-road, off-road, SS, 3-speed, 30 speed, recumbant, tandem, 'cross, unicycle, long-tail, rigid, hardtail, full-suspension, belt-drive, chain drive, no-drive, trike, speedway, BMX, 4x, downhill, uphill, no-hills, three brakes, no brakes, coaster brakes, track, field, mountain, road....

Bikes are great.

Ride what you like - thank goodness there are so many ways to ride a bike!

:LOL:

Well said that man :D

i'll 2nd the winter trainer comments.

i had a fixed 15+ years ago when i was a competitive roadie but gave it up long ago. have been SSing offroad for several years more recently and feeling the whole one gear zen again, but actively avoiding a fixed roadie as an anti-fashion statement...

...until a very nice one (631 steel, road geometry, good fit, as new condition) came along at the right price (US$325, without wheels) about a year ago. i bit. it has a brake, drop bars, and bottle cages...not an urban hipster bike. i use it interchangeably with my geared roadie and do club rides on it regularly. 46x16 gearing.

a fixed absolutely, positively will make you a stronger/smarter/smoother rider. you will think anew about momentum and preserve it at all costs. you will sprint up short steep hills instead of gearing down and spinning. you will sit and hammer up less severe grades. you will not coast nearly as much, even when on a bike that allows it. you will develop a buttery smooth spin. you will become addicted.

oh...great gear calculator here: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

jamis.jpg

Ok, following the advice here I have persevered with fixed (plus I can't get the freewheel off) and I have to say that yesterday I almost enjoyed it, even tucking my socks into my trousers and jumping on for a trip to the GP. Felt fresh enthusiasm, almost like having a new bike. Bizarrely though I had the chain on upside down, never heard of chain that was one way up or the other but this one was. Rectified now.

This morning rode down a proper hill where I can freewheel to 30mph. Legs hamster whirling plus braking is an unusual experience but when it got too much and I was tempted to stop my legs I almost got bucked into the hedge which kind of focused the mind.

Certainly will continue to give it a go, might have to reconsider 48x20 at 64 inches feels a little low (48x18 at 71 inches sounds bang on) but will only do that if it looks a long term goer.

MadCowKev":2y8a08yj said:
Fixed is fine for the track but I wouldn't use it anywhere else.

So Kev, you don't rate the guy who rode the Three Peaks Cyclocross race fixed?

The mind boggles :shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back