Scottish independence

"Scottish oil revenues massively underestimated according to new report."
http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/sc ... new-report

"If Scotland were to get a "geographical share" based on the median line it would mean about 90% of the UK's oil resources would be under Scottish jurisdiction.
According to research by Prof Kemp, in 2010 the Scottish share of total oil production in the UKCS was more than 95% while for gas it was 58%. The Scottish share of total hydrocarbon production (including NGLs) was 80%. The Scottish tax share exceeded 90%. This reflects the much higher value of oil compared to gas."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-20042070"

"Scotland enjoys a GDP per head around 17% higher than the UK average, and even if Oil and Gas are completely excluded Scotland’s GDP per head is on a par with the rest of the UK."
http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/in ... -scotland/

Chopper1192":3ef92kog said:
Salmond says they'd be automatically part of the EU, because they would be applying while still inside it. Really? The EU say an independent Scotland would need to apply from scratch.

He rant on about 'Scotish' oil. Really? A third.of it is in English territorial waters,

who does he think is going to do it out the sea bed if the Americans and British don't?

his grasp of Scotland's role in international affairs is massively flawed. He's a local politician trying to play on the World stage, but the rest of the World aren't very impressed.

The biggest impediment to Scotish independence will be Salmond himself, and the voters will tell him so next year beyond almost any shadow of a doubt.

EU membership would be negotiated, and of course that may be necessary for the remnants of the UK also.

I think you will find using most international conventions on these things, just about none of it is in 'English' waters.

Most of the UK oil industry is based in Aberdeen. There is no reason to doubt the existing companies would carry on as normal. They have actually complained about the Westminster government over and over again, and have indicated they would be perfectly happy to deal with Edinburgh exclusively. When you speak like that, suggesting we somehow don't have the knowledge and expertise right here in Scotland you betray a complete ignorance of the British oil industry, Scots are at the very heart of it, whichever part of the world you care to look.

The rest of the world is not impressed with Salmond?

I think you have an artificially skewed opinion. He is respected and admired by many across the world. Your characterisations of him seem exclusive to the southern regions of the UK.

The voters, who did not get the option for Devo-max which polling indicates they would have favoured, will very likely refuse the request to move to full independence. They will most likely then vote Salmond in as Scotland's prime minister in the forthcoming election.

Like I said, it is not a referendum on Alex Salmond, it is about something completely different and it is an insult to the people of Scotland to keep focussing on one man over the wider issues involved.

highlandsflyer":38jjss1z said:
Devolution and independence are processes, things can be tweaked as necessary as they run.
They bastarding well shouldn't be.

That's what pisses me off about the independence carry on, that it's somehow inevitable and that devolution, devo max or whatever we get are just stepping stones en route to the ultimate goal.

When are the SNP going to get it? The significant majority of Scotland doesn't want independence and never has. That the fat twat is so close to it is a credit to his political nous but it doesn't alter the numbers. But the more it's seemingly on the cards the more some will be swayed and we end up sleepwalking into it.

Give me an option to disband Holyrood and go back to proper government please. Either way the Union will outlive Salmond. Hopefully it outlives me as well.

I don't think they are stepping stones. I don't believe we would ever sleepwalk into something requiring a public vote either.

The majority of Scots are not for independence at the moment, and may never be.

They are certainly against disbanding the Scottish Government though. Ever.

So the time is drawing near, and the tolling of the bell has begun.

My guess is that nothing much is going to change, we shall gain a few more powers we were going to get anyway, and the SNP will win the next election, but may not have a majority.

So I won't be needing another passport.

Re:

Purely by watching scots on the tv when asked, I get the feeling in general that those voting with their heart will vote yes and those voting with their head will vote no.

Salmons figures are still quite vague and I wonder if things like free prescriptions, free university etc will remain free without the mass populace of Englands volume taxes bailing out a country that will largely put all it's eggs in one oil basket.

If they do vote yes, which I feel they won't, I wonder if the threat of the outer islands to demand independence from Scotland will happen? Certainly on eastern Scotland isles there would be an impact on oil and some heavy negotiating that would benefit the isles.

Salmond knows if they vote no it will be seen as his personal failure and I wonder where he will stand afterwards. However he dresses it up it will be a failure if a no vote is successful.

I do believe that if they want to go it alone then they should but no cherry picking, all or nothing. They must go the way of the euro if Europe accepts them. It would be interesting also to see how the bank for Scotland will set it's base rate as I can't see with all that salmond has promised where the money is coming from.

I certainly dont see the figures that support:
'if things like free prescriptions, free university etc will remain free without the mass populace of Englands volume taxes bailing out a country that will largely put all it's eggs in one oil basket'
A bit of a stretch that one :)

Jamie

Back