A congregation of Carltons

I'm half way through laquering the frame up, meaning the whole house smells of pear drops. Two quick snaps from this afternoon:

DSC04393.jpg

DSC04392.jpg

I'm trying to get a similar mile deep glossy shine to the one on my old Claud Butler. I'm still putting off cleaning all the alloy bits and bobs :oops:

GO'D.

bikemeister2000":1zd4p232 said:
I worked with Gerald for many years. He was truly one of a kind.

Agree, very nice chap, very helpful and patient when I ordered my SBDU.

Here's another image of him, just as I remember.

Rk.

Attachments

• GeraldO'Donovan.jpg
    GeraldO'Donovan.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 760
Re:

Goldie":2pxqpxhu said:
The decals arrived on Friday so it should come together quite quickly.

Erm... or I could take a year and a half to make any significant progress at all :oops:

In goes the headset:

And all of a sudden, it's starting to look quite bikey. The original Huret Eco rear derailleur was all twisted and broken, so it's getting a bit of an upgrade to a Suntour V GT - this'll be able to cope with the big cog on the back. It should actually be quite nice to ride when it's done.

Spokesmann":o69isn55 said:
Thats look very tidy, worthwhile too. Have you all the bits now?

Yes, the pictures are a bit behind the reality - it is almost ready for a test ride now. The old wheels, saddle, mudguards, Huret Eco, propstand and terrifying, wafer thin brake blocks all went in the bin. There was a Union dynamo and lights which I'm just having a think about - I'm pretty sure they don't work but I thought I might be able to get the guts of a modern LED light into the swoopy chrome casing of the old lamps. But by and large the bike itself was just cosmetically poor. Most of the chrome and alloy just needed a good clean and polish. It all looks really smart now its back together.

Re:

You Binned the mudguards!! they would have been Esge and are sought after :cry: I even know someone who wants a pair......never mind.

Re:

They were Esges, but they were a mimmion miles away from their best. Some home made modfications had happened to them over the years.

The bike's had its first look at the sun for a good few years, and it looks ok:

I might stick a couple more photos on the blog.

Lovin it. I would suggest a lamp bracket to finish things off. Didn't think I would, but that bar tape looks spot on.

Always nice to see some more Carltons for me there is just something a little bit special about them. My first restoration was a 1970s Continental wish now I hadn't sold it

Back