Middleburn cranks

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
I'm trying to put as much period stuff as possible on my 1998 1x1 within reason.

I would like to stick some Middleburns on it, but I don't know what they were producing back then. (I was in Oz and hadn't heard of them other than their cable oilers).

Is there a suitable crank, and what does it look like?

(If it is the same as they still produce, that's no problem, I've got spares of those :) ).

Re:

If you have square taper ones, I think they are pretty much the same as they were in 98. I have a set from that time on my STS, can't remember the model but can have a look tonight. I think around that time they stopped the original version for a stronger design as people were bending then. If you are looking for a period correct look, a 5 arm spider would be the way forward.
Most of the older ones that come up for sale are usually on for stupid money, so if you have similar then I'd just use them.

Ok, had a look through my manuals and the ones I've got are 5 arm RS-7's.
Originally did those upgrades in '99 and you can still buy them now albeit in a 3 arm spider. I take it you'll be using a single ring? Like I said above I wouldn't waste money if you already have a set.

Photos of mine for reference can be seen here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=171276

Thanks all for the info and PinkBike link, but oh dear, now I have a problem - want, want :)

p4pb10558419.jpg

I think I'd better use my existing square tapers though. :)

I had a nice set of RS2's around 96/97 and thought they were the bomb until I saw my friends RS3's - they looked so much more fluid than my 'solid rods'. In retrospect the RS2's were great because they were so solid and I never had a problem with them - excellent cranks, though some of my biking buddies had to send theirs back due to a recall, mine seemed to work no problems. Took a square bottom bracket - UN52 Shimano. I'd go RS2's - just the right amount of retro and solid. The RS1's above are nice too - wasn't a huge fan of the circular detail at the pedal threads but that's just personal preference :) Just make sure the bottom bracket axle length is ample to take the profile of the spider - saying that if it's a 1 x 1 set-up you should have no worries.

Back