Riding fixed - all it is cracked up to be?

Fixed, and singlespeed, ain't fashionable any more because ...

every urban delivery boy rides a pinarello with 6inch handlebars,

fixed off roading came and went with 63xc.com,

you can buy this on ebay for under 200 sovs:

trackbikemblackb626bdbuf6.jpg

And beacause if you really want to get to the simple heart of what cycling is all about, without the interference of lots of corporate product between you and the swift machine, then you should be into ....

hobby horsing:

hobbyhorsews1.jpg

Of course the uber-cool have done with hobby horsing and are now into that east german circus rding thing where the bikes have skinny wooden wheels and ride on walls. No, really.

If you heard it here first, then its already extremely dated .....

;)

Fixed offroad just strikes me as wilfully stupid as it has such huge practical disadvantages over the most mildly technical of terrain and the advantages over ss are not really clear (sorry, I know that this has only really been mentioned in passing and the thread is road related but just thought I could rant a little and feel much better for it).

I'm now sort of convinced that I should perserve with fixed on road especially as my second freewheel (different bike) in two days died today.

Will sort bike out tomorrow. So far it had a roadside fettling and I'm not sure chainline is right plus fixed sprocket is at least 2 teeth larger than the dead freewheel so may need to fit a larger chainring. And then the chain will be too short - so much for this often mooted simplicity!

Try 42 - 15 should be more than quick enough in traffic and managable up and down most hills

And dont go for the 1 brake bullshit - as said before your knees dont need that

doctor-bond":1lg6ffir said:
And beacause if you really want to get to the simple heart of what cycling is all about, without the interference of lots of corporate product between you and the swift machine, then you should be into ....
hobby horsing:

hobbyhorsews1.jpg

:LOL:

RussellandKirk":1j4ufyg8 said:
Try 42 - 15 should be more than quick enough in traffic and managable up and down most hills

And dont go for the 1 brake bullshit - as said before your knees dont need that

Are you suggesting to use two? Or do without like the real cool kids?

Yep, definitely a two brake man.

Was using 48x18 ss but pretty sure the fixed sprocket is a 20t so will see what Campag pattern chainrings I have although I fear 53t is the only option which will I guess give too high a gear and too short a chain (and chain is almost new)

Have you heard of the PistaDex doctor-bond?

Have now, cheers :)

Will keep an eye on bike snob, it tickled me.

I've got my eye on a campag pista chainset at the mo. So if the fixie apocalpyse has truly set in then pistadex should mean I'm in for a bargain.

Latest posts

Back