Caution...road content! RW Racing with Mavic/Campy

cchris2lou":1jffg16a said:
stupid question , but are you sure the frame , mech are straight ?

The mech is NOS.
The frame is straight enough.
Works fine with shimano 8 speed thumbies, mavic mech and sachs 8 speed block.....

cool ,must be abit special to build your own frame(specialy if it's a good one)
steve "he who hesitates is lost"
learnt this years ago......now got too much stuff!

Managed to get my setup working finally. Upgraded the shifter internals to 9 speed. The amount of cable pull from the 9 speed campy shifters seems to work about right over the 8 speed shimano spaced block with a mavic mech :roll:

Still be interested to hear the details of Rody's setup...

Good Golly John, I had no idea that you have been having such quirks in your system. Glad to see that you did get it flushed out though.

My set up is straight up as described...8 speed Campy Record Ergo levers, Sachs 8 speed Campy spaced block, Mavic rear derailleur with normal cable routing.

Surprised that the 7 speed fw did not work...would be worth a look to check the derailleur hanger alignment, just a bit off makes a lot of difference in a road set up.

cheers,

rody

rody,

quirks indeed. The indexing was out by a lot more than the difference in spacing between a 5mm spaced 7 speed and 4.9 mm spaced 8 speed block.

The dropout looks straight enough by eye - will get it checked though.

Works fine now with old campy 9 speed spaced shifters, sachs 8 speed block and the mavic mech. From what I've read up people have had mixed luck getting similar setups to work. It's got to the point it works and I don't want to think about it too much more :D

Back