Raleigh with Reynolds 501 frame, please help identify.

No problem

I've just seen a Team Corsa make only £104 on eBay, so yours was a real achievement.

Especially when you consider that a Team Corsa probably cost double what yours did brand new!

well done on the price achieved and just my tuppence worth if the Reynolds 501 sticker is surface mounted on the seat tube (as yours appears to be) and not lacquered in with the other transfers there's a good chance it was stuck on after original sale......either way you were honest enough in your efforts to make clear your concerns so job well done!

Excel":skj69qog said:
well done on the price achieved and just my tuppence worth if the Reynolds 501 sticker is surface mounted on the seat tube (as yours appears to be) and not lacquered in with the other transfers there's a good chance it was stuck on after original sale......either way you were honest enough in your efforts to make clear your concerns so job well done!

From my experience, the 'lower end' Raleigh frames, (18-23 tubing and Reynolds 501) weren't lacquered over. The decals were applied to the 'painted' frame

'W' prefix frame numbers tend to have lacquered over decals, but I've never seen one that has Reynolds decals lacquered over

Re:

Hi

I'm new to this forum but have joined whilst researching a bike I'm restoring. Mine is identical to the one described and has the Reynolds 501 sticker at the bottom of the seat tube. It also has weinman 1160 alloy rims and a shimano 'light action' rear mech. I'm guessing is around early 1990's but any help would be gratefully received.

Hi sorry about the delay in reply. I can rebuild a bike but have struggled to work out how to upload photo's!!

Anyway I've done some research and am 99% sure its a Raleigh Team Corsa in the white with red, blue and yellow Panasonic colours with a Reynolds 501 frame. It still has the 'kelloggs' sponsor on the top tube. I still need to remove the Gear cable guide to get the whole frame number but its probably from around the mid 1980's. It seems straight and honest but will need a frame respray which I can do. The rest of the components are in good order. Is it a worthwhile restoration project or should I just strip it for parts (although that seems a shame). I have been working on a 1979 Raleigh Record in black which although has taken me loads of time has been rewarding (but probably not financially rewarding). Hopefully I can get some pictures loaded.

Cheers

Hi Alex

Does the frame number on yours start with a W or a N?

A W would suggest a Team Corsa, an N a Team Cadet

The Reynolds decal will also tell us more, is it 501 Main Tubes, or 501 Main Tubes and Stays?

The latter means it's an earlier Corsa (if it's a Corsa)

I've just found one of these on eBay this morning, and it's a mixture of Corsa and Cadet:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=295585

Here is a link to my Team Corsa:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=267023&hilit=Team+Corsa

Back