More drugs in cycling

We have been here before.

I hope this does'nt go the same way as the pirate.

*&^king sad for the sport and the rider :cry:

I think there is a big difference between recreational drugs and doping to improve in your sport. Come on man, who has never smoked a bit of spliff etc, give the guy a break, just partying a little hard maybe :?

http://www.cumul.net/RayonsdAction/Pages/velorium.htm

"Il a existé de tout temps, le doping, mais il faut savoir ce qu'on appelle
doping. Je me souviens dans l'étape Vannes - St Brieuc, un contre-la-montre de 139 km, j'avais fait remplir un bidon de trois-quart d'ersatz de café et le reste de calva. J'avais avalé, je ne sais pas, un bidon ou deux, et j'avais fait une bonne performance. J'avais relégué le porteur du maillot jaune à dix minutes derrière moi. Dans la toute dernière étape, en passant au ravitaillement à Rouen, j'avais demandé à une tierce personne qu'elle me mette la même chose dans le bidon, trois-quart de café, du calva, et avec une gorgée tous les dix kilomètres, j'avais l'impression que je pouvait aller au bout du monde!"

"Doping has always existed, but what do you call doping? I remember during the Vannes - St Brieuc stage, a 139km time trial, I'd had a bidon filled 3/4 full with coffee substitute and the rest Calvados. I drank one or two of these, and had a great ride - I beat the race leader by ten minutes! In the final stage, passing through the feed station in Rouen, I'd asked a third party to put the same mixture in my bidon - 3/4 coffee, 1/4 Calvados - and with a mouthful every 10km I felt like I could ride to the ends of the earth!"

Jean Robic remembers the 1947 Tour de France

my grand father who is a keen cyclist remembers that most of the riders in the tdf used to drink quite a lot of alcohol in the 50s and 60s .
a lot of them crashed completely drunk . :LOL:

cchris2lou":32cnl5f4 said:
my grand father who is a keen cyclist remembers that most of the riders in the tdf used to drink quite a lot of alcohol in the 50s and 60s .
a lot of them crashed completely drunk . :LOL:

Well at least they wouldn't feel the pain so much :D :LOL:

pistol13":uhvx3oq7 said:
I think there is a big difference between recreational drugs and doping to improve in your sport. Come on man, who has never smoked a bit of spliff etc, give the guy a break, just partying a little hard maybe :?

Well never taken drugs. he knows the rules

He hasn't broken any sporting rules though - cocaine is only against the rules if used in competition. He's broken the law (the seriousness of which depends on which country the alleged offence took place) but there's no blanket UCI rule that says you can't compete if you've broken any law at all, ever.

Rereading Matt Rendell's Pantani book - the whole peleton appears to be completely off it's collective face.

Scary thing is the comment about EPO - their blood was so messed up that it was great for racing but they had to set their heart rate monitors to sound alarms if their pulse went too low in the night. Racing all day then on the rollers all night.

Things do seem to be getting better, I really hope they are. The new generation of teams seems to be challenging the 'you must dope to survive' attitude. Hats off to Slipstream and High Road in particular.

terryhfs":t4jwwoch said:
He hasn't broken any sporting rules though - cocaine is only against the rules if used in competition. He's broken the law (the seriousness of which depends on which country the alleged offence took place) but there's no blanket UCI rule that says you can't compete if you've broken any law at all, ever.

Completely agree, recreational drug use is totally separate from doping imo. I think he should be free to waste his money on a drug that turns you into an arsehole if he likes.

Back