BoTM May 2014 - Patina Special - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, after multiple entries, he doesn't have a BOTM winner banner (yet) so let the voting do the talking - bring it on ... :D

WD :D

WD Pro":9lzmgdlw said:
To be fair, after multiple entries, he doesn't have a BOTM winner banner (yet) so let the voting do the talking - bring it on ... :D

WD :D

Right!

And to be fair... the bikes in the collection of theproscloset are spectaculair!! :shock:
Don't attack him/them for having a business also. Just judge the bike!!

But.... this Manitou doesn't fit my description of 'patina' also, but let's see how it goes when the voting starts. Unless the mods agree with us and remove it from the list!

Remember rules #13 and #16.... ;)

It would be interesting to see if a bike such as the Travis bike would win hands down if owned by a private person.

I suspect it probably might and that says more about our human prejudices than anything else.

Re:

I'm not trying to attack Nick or his business. By all accounts he's a great guy running a great business that benefits us all. I'm just commenting on how I feel about his participation in botm. There's just something that feels a bit off about it, I'm not fully aware of what it is....something to do with the pro vs am thing. I was thinking of entering this month but, after seeing his entry I feel the odds are stacked against everyone else. I guess it's that whole elitist thing rearing it's ugly head again.

Anyway, sorry for the interruption, carry on.

Re:

NDAAND’s 1988 Mountain Goat Deluxe
Actually, it is my wife’s, but I’d like to enter it if there are no objections.
Additional pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=276259

Attachments

• L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 769
  • L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 769
Need some close up's to judge patina! ndaand's mountain goat looked mint in the first pic and properly used in the second.

Mike - keep the fisher rat in here. I like it.

Personally, for this month, I think decent indoor photos should count against the bike. If we are showcasing patina it conjurs pictures of classic old bikes pulling through after many scrapes and bumps. so should be seen outdoors and with a bit of dirt/wear on them. Like the lovely example above.

I'd like to add my '90 Nishiki Kodiak
When I bought a frameset it wasn't in graet condition - now bike is rebuild and rides perfect! One of my favourite cro-moly frames to ride!
Here is build thread incl some pics of the bike viewtopic.php?f=6&t=255091&hilit=nishiki

Clipboard01.jpg

IMG_0004.JPG

trail_head":hf2o0tga said:
I feel your participation in botm, under your business name, is wrong.

To clarify: if he changed his username to "Nick," would that make you feel better? I don't mean to fight Nick's fight, but it's not like he's pulling levers from behind the curtain at TPC global headquarters. He's made it very clear that he's just Nick, a bike nut with a collection and wants to participate alongside everyone else.

Let me ask you a question, since money and elitism seem to always be an issue of discussion: if Travis' bike was offered to you free, would you not display it proudly? Or would you pass it on because your beneath owning something so historic? Your attitude reeks of hate towards members like Nick because they have the resources to bring this stuff out from garages onto the pages of retrobike and that makes zero sense to me.

I am thankful that sweet race bikes like these are out there for us to dork out over. To me, patina that comes from racing NORBA races will always win over splashing through puddles and leaving the bike to rust in some shed. But I'm an elitist I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back