i know nothing..---------pics now added---------------

For wheel size it should say on the tyre wall - 27" tyres are 630mm bead seat diameter, 700c are 622mm.

My guess from the age of the bike is that it's a 27".

Age doesnt really have anything to do with wheel size.

Try moving the saddle forwards/ backwards on the rails, stem up/ down, bars up/ down to get a decent 'fit' for riding.

dirtjumper_dmr":1elcxsnb said:
..........also, having just read another thread on here, can anyone tell me if the wheels on this are 27" or 700c? cheers, Rich :)

It should say the size on the existing tyres. If in doubt take them along to the LBS and ask for a pair of the same.

Looking again at the pics it looks to be a nice bike with some reasonable equipment on it. The frame is OK but perhaps a longer stem and some shallower bars might make it more comfortable. I'd go for the bar end shifters if you can't get along with the down tube ones. Try and get some Brooks Proofide for the saddle, rub plenty in top and bottom and it should gradually soften and mould to your shape.

Old Ned":184uhon3 said:
Try and get some Brooks Proofide for the saddle, rub plenty in top and bottom and it should gradually soften and mould to your shape.

Ok, my bottom is now soft and supple.

legrandefromage":28pe6zsi said:
Old Ned":28pe6zsi said:
Try and get some Brooks Proofide for the saddle, rub plenty in top and bottom and it should gradually soften and mould to your shape.

Oh dear me, on the saddle you fool! I don't know, kids these days..................tut, tut, tut.................you can't teach them anything..............

Old Ned":1327ek8k said:
legrandefromage":1327ek8k said:
Old Ned":1327ek8k said:

Oh dear me, on the saddle you fool! I don't know, kids these days..................tut, tut, tut.................you can't teach them anything..............

Just remembered this article on butchering a Brooks saddle, worth a read if you're having trouble.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... cking.html

Thanks for that link Ned, v helpful :)

Not ridden this bike very much as the weather's been ok and i've been down the trails mostly...

If I were you I wouldnt change a thing on this bike, Its a period road bike from the early 80s and a good one at that! Your dad knew his onions when he bought it way back when. These things are becoming collectable big time lately and a Carlton too, probably one of the last. (Didnt Raleigh own the name by the 80s?) Simply give it a good clean and polish the alloy parts with some T cut and leave well alone. In another few years it'll be worth more than a few hundred if it isnt already. As far as the Derailleurs go, leave them as they are, they make a change from the usual Campag Nuovo Record kit of the day and are of interest as quality pieces in their own right. Get it set up to fit you and the ride will be less painful, converting it to modern 8-9 speed will be costly and devalue the bike as a period piece. As will fixie-ing it.

Downtube Shifters are a pain but thats all we had back in them days and we did OK, I know if my dad gave me a classic lightweight British racer I'd be preserving it as original and hanging on to it for my kids. ; )

See

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/carlton.html

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/

Back