*** Travis Brown's Bradbury FS Manitou ***

What you are seeing is the angle that the photos were taken. You are looking THRU the non drive pivot and seeing the drive side pivot. The bike is correct. Come look at it in person.

The non drive is correct. Point is null.

theproscloset":pxgj67nq said:
Talked with Travis about the fork sanctions and those have NOT slipped. He had them set up like that for handling characteristics.

The bike is a rider and exactly how Travis meant it to be. Bushing etc. All is legit and NOTHING is missing here.

I am referring to the front fork. The sanctions are lowered because that was how he preferred to ride it at the time.

Bike Radar did a great write up on this bike for Throwback Thursday:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/ar ... -fs-40889/

This particular example is no garage queen, either: it belongs to former pro – and current Trek mountain bike tester and brand ambassador – Travis Brown, who raced the Manitou FS during the 1992 season. The drivetrain is worn, there's a patina of dust and grime, and like many FS frames, the head tube is cracked (in five places).

"I knew Doug through [fellow Trek employee] Scott Daubert, who was a friend and training partner of mine at the time and he was riding for Manitou," says Brown. "After Worlds that year [1991], we talked again and I thought that it'd be awesome to ride for a Colorado company. Being an independent frame builder, he didn't really have the resources to go pro racing but it's what he wanted to do. He finally got funding for a race team from his Japanese importer – which is where a lot of his bikes were being sold at the time – and eventually said, 'I got a budget; let's go racing!'"

As it turns out, Brown's career evaluating and developing mountain bike product started long before his days at Trek. Bradbury first provided a Manitou HT hardtail to try out for sizing, and said he could incorporate any changes he wanted into a custom design for his FS.

Brown indeed had some ideas, which included 50mm of additional top tube length relative to the stock geometry, paired with a short-for-its-day 120mm stem. Though Bradbury thought Brown was crazy at the time, the idea would ultimately work its way into the mainstream.

"It was very stable and that was something that I intentionally wanted so the bike would go straight when you were slobbering and tired."

This one-off also incorporated an extra-wide rear end with a drivetrain that was pushed outboard by 10mm to create a zero-dish rear wheel – an impressively forward-thinking concept that would resurface roughly two decades later for the fat bike market. The design necessitated a custom Shimano XTR rear hub with 145mm spacing (which Bradbury made himself), special asymmetrical dropouts, and a longer bottom bracket spindle to keep everything properly aligned.

According to Brown, the zero-dish wheel and wider spacing yielded a noticeably stiffer rear end.

"It had a lot of stiffness for that reason. [Doug] had an intuitive design sense and was willing to try things. He was a super smart dude." "

Lovely thread. I just bought one and it's just this week gone to frank the welder, I don't want a garage queen, so the crack I found in the head tube is being repaired. See separate thread. But, I think you're right, leave yours well alone and keep a record of its use close! Nice!

Some more up close photos of the patina

travisbrownmtb-13.jpg

travisbrownmtb-14.jpg

travisbrownmtb-15a.jpg

travisbrownmtb-17.jpg

travisbrownmtb-18.jpg

travisbrownmtb-22.jpg

travisbrownmtb-23.jpg

travisbrownmtb-4.jpg

travisbrownmtb-9.jpg

travisbrownmtb-10.jpg

Latest posts