Part Identification

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
headset

Yes, you could be right there. I see the 2 flats on the upper cup lockring.

Back to the late 80's for the steel thing then. Its not any of the eBay ones so I still reckon its a low-rent steel job.

legrandefromage":i0e7ncn3 said:
That headset appeared with the Athena groupsets up to the Record in 1991
I think there are some subtle differences though. The C-Record unit had lightening holes in the steel press-fit parts, for example:

headsetwc1.jpg

and I think the edges aren't as square as the one posted above. Look at the different length of the flats on the top cup, and the steepness of the sides with a sharp edge, rather than a slight taper and more rounded transition.

I agree that the period's right, but some of the details don't quite match, unless perhaps there were variations from year to year.

HS

By Jove! were they making them that late???

It looks a right hamfisted affair. Not much finishing involved.

Hey Hairstream, what about a better pic? You got it on the bike yet?

Again, some interesting variations. This one has a bevel on the upper cup, and the Campag name is inscribed around the side of the locknut, rather than on top. No lightening holes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0268544517

While this one has lightening holes and a sloping-sided upper cup with no bevel, and no O-rings that I can see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0064325392

Of course nothing guarantees that parts sold as C-Record actually are C-Record. That first one looks a lot like a Contax to me.

Attachments

• C Record or Contax.jpg
    C Record or Contax.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 749
  • Contax.jpg
    Contax.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 749
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Excellent input!

It's looking more like the Contax to my eye.

Let me lay the parts out and post a better picture today after my work is through. "Most" will be dreaming when I post new pic, as per the time difference.... Time and effort put in on this one has been most appreciated.

Whether I put it to good use or pimp it on the bay, it is nice to know what one is holding in their hands, no?

Cheers. :)

Nuts, I just went and installed it. It looks good, feels good, does not match the seat collar, though. Anyone asks me, it's C Record topotheline. ;)

Attachments

• Wicked Camp.jpg
    Wicked Camp.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 726
  • Wicked Camp 2.jpg
    Wicked Camp 2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 724
Back