Campy Bottom Bracket Axle Availability

retrojon

Retro Guru
I have a cup and cone Campag Record BB with 111mm axle, but later Record cranks which need 102mm.

Are there 102mm axles available to do a swap, or did Campy go cartridge at this time?

I'm sure you're right, paul_tea. Campag had already gone cartridge when Record cranks used a 111mm BB. I don't believe there's ever been a 102mm cup-and-cone BB.

Cup and cone BBs need lockrings.

There isn't room for a lockring on anything shorter than 110.

111mm bb

Yip. The Pista 111mm track BB went cartridge and that was it. End of.

There is a range of 102 or 103mm bb's you could go for. Most are cheaper and some are lighter than Record, but I doubt if they will be as smooth or last as long.

The 102mm cartridge Chorus BB is a beaut. I think you might be able to pick them up in clearance sections soon as the 'UT' design has really taken off.

PS: not much in the way of bearing seals in anything less than Centaur.

Thanks guys.

Next question, do Campy cartridge bottom brackets use a Shimano tool, or do I have to go buy a new one?

FSA Ultimax. Available in JIS and ISO and TI or cromo. Same fitting tool as Shimano BBs.

In my experience less smooth when new but more reliable long-term than record.

The small bearings on the drive side of the record and chorus bbs are notorious for wearing out fast, even though there are 2 of them. I wore 2 out in a year once.

If you need a campag compatible one with BSA thread, I can let you have the I used while I was waiting for Ultra-Torque to come out. £45 plus postage. All my other road bikes have italian thread...

Got a nos Ultimax ti from eBay for £30. For some reason the seller hasn't put the word "bottom" in the title, which may explain why they are not selling...

Back