Emma Pooley

Re:

Totally agree, what a smart talented woman, who is not being properly appreciated. As a father to a young daughter, I'd like her to achieve similar things. I'm hoping though that mine will follow a business and maybe Pro Golf career as well as gain a top education. I guess it always comes down to a woman's looks as to her commercial appeal. :|

Her younger Sister Sophie Pooley used to come out riding with us, damn fine piece, Seemed like riding behind her for some strange reason.

That really sucks, I honestly had no idea.

The pessimist in me looks at her and Victoria Pendleton, and wonders if the act of selling out is actually how to make ends meet? Perhaps it's all in the marketing?

Emma did her PhD in Geo-technical engineering in the lab where I work. I know her and her Supervisor at the time, Sarah Springman very well.

To be fair, you can't build a top end pro race calendar, and the associated salary/support structure, without a steady stream of top class riders coming through from grass roots/national racing. At this point, they don't do themselves any favours.
Doesn't matter what you try and do as far as organising races or coordinating/sponsoring teams, a lot of women just won't race.
I've sunk dozens (hundreds?) of hours, secured hundreds (thousands?) in sponsorship/expenses for womens racing over the 3 years i volunteered for the region, had 30 or 40 women ride once, decide its too hard and never bother again. Just a core of 3 or 4 who would race fairly regularly.

Have had a couple who have carried on and made it as internationals. The majority just stopped. So i did too.

You rarely get the ride once, then quit, on the blokes racing side of things. There are guys who i used to race with as a teenager (who were crap then) who are still racing now, 25 years later (and are still crap), paying their 15 quid week in week out to get a kicking from fitter and faster guys who are 30 years younger than them.

Oh, and FWIW, now i live in Sweden (one of the more gender equal nations in europe) we still have a mismatch between mens and womens racing. Mens races usually have 30-40 starters per class, women usually have around 10, makes the racing very dull, with only 10 riders, turns the race into a procession to the sprint finish, even in elite racing.

Back