Considering buying a house but doesnt have mains gas??

Re:

ten years ago this was one of my pre-requisites. Now, I'd see mains gas as a burdon and a fireplace and some potential for underfloor heating a bonus instead.

As mentioned up there, see if you can add biomass to the heating system, my inlaws added a pellet burner to their electrical heating, saves about 50%.
Obviously depends on how expensive the gas is.
No mains gas is no big deal, we've had none for 8 years. Just cylinders or electric for cooking and geothermal for water and heat.

And an open fire downstairs, log burner upstairs.

Re:

Two years ago we lived in a farmhouse in Cambridge and like your now considering, it had no mains gas.

The cooker was a double oven range cooker with a calor gas bottle that we replaced once a year at around £20.

The lounge had an open fire so coal could be used or wood bought cheap in the spring/summer as it needed time to dry out before use in the winter.

The heating was oil, we had a 2,500 litre bonded tank and always kept an eye on the prices and tended to fill it right up in the summer when it was cheaper ready for the winter

We also had a power shower for keeping us clean and the washing machine was cold fill.

It's surprising how much you use wisely when it has to be thought if a bit more. Had we stayed longer then solar roof panels and bio mass was on the to do list.

Also look at how well insulated the house is - the better the insulation, the less energy you need to heat it, so money spent improving the insulation may well pay for itself over time.

Re:

Oil isnt an option. The rest of the estate is pretty much electric. I would look at solar panels. Biomass could be an option, but I haven't looked into it.

it's wierd how different things can be around the world. Where I live gas is something you really have to want and pay loads to get put on. It's just electric everything and gas is like "what!, won't your house blow up or something"

Yeah, had the same here when I started looking for a gas hob, apparently people die all the time due to exploding gas appliances. They are really really dangerous. Ticking bomb type stuff.
According to one dipstick they are banned altogether in many technologically advanced countries.

Electric is soooooo much safer. No one ever got electrocuted.

(He was deadly serious as well, not trolling)

Re:

Also, consider Ground Source or Air Source heat pumps to provide yiur central heating

G

We have been trawling for another bolt hole lately and broadband speed is a factor, I never expected to be so concerned but it has come to be a consideration along with other things such as must be south facing and up its own track.

Back