yeti arc long travel ( model )

redfern1950s

Retro Guru
Hi,
Im not sure if this is the right section for this.

Again, ive been going through my boxes of stash, some stuff i should have chucked, some im very glad i kept..., But amongst these recent finds are these :

About 20 years ago i made these models, using a pliable plastic/clay like stuff called 'FIMO'.
Not the best medium to use, but i thought i would have a go any way, just to see if i could make them...
They are a bit wobbly and very ruff, and i only ever made the 2 models.. both being completely hand made.

The spotting on these models is where time has taken its toll on the lacquer i used back then..
Probably caused by damp :facepalm:

The larger one has a hollow main frame has working suspension and uses the 'spring pod' from a 1990 shimano dx brake lever ( suits the scale perfectly ) for the shock.

The small and almost complete model ( lost the seat ) was much harder to make.

The front suspension took me a bit too work out ( limited resources ).. this was achieved using the flint/spring bodies from 2 'clipper' cigarette lighters ! cutting the striker/barrel section off and turning the springs around.., the fork lowers are fimo, but foil lined.., they work a treat.

Other details include, the grip shift, syncros stem and cqp cranks..., my favorite bit is the head decals, these where cut from 1993 yeti catalogs, again, perfect for the scale.

But If i had the time, i would make a proper one..

I hope you like...

yeti arc long travel by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Wow
There pretty good,I would never had thought that fimo stuff would still be in one piece!

I couldn't have done that I would have given up and gone the pub after a hour!

How many did you make altogether?

mtbdave":1cew3isp said:
Wow
There pretty good,I would never had thought that fimo stuff would still be in one piece!

I couldn't have done that I would have given up and gone the pub after a hour!

How many did you make altogether?

Cheer's mate..

Im surprised too, they where just slung inside an old lidded tub, and could so easily have been smashed...,
I only ever did make the two above, i then decided to make models of VW camper vans...

Looking back, i wish i had have gone the pub :D

I know i shouldnt be posting here, but here is what i went on to make :

"the very first one of these went in the coal fire, then i spent years perfecting them"

All made from fimo, no jigs or molds..., working suspension etc...

moc fimo 1967 vw split screen ambulance by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Re:

They are extremely good both the bikes and the v-dubs.

Saw the Yetis at Sharrocks back in the day and the dubs at bug freeze Stafford. Brill thanks for showing them again Red

those are awesome, good work mate! Thanks for sharing!

the pair of Yeti bikes are really great, but the VW is frick'n impressive!!!

mtbdave":5z3dlrmh said:
That must have took ages to do!
The detail is very good also,you might be able to sell that on a vw forum??

Hi again...

Cheer's, glad you like.. i went for as much detail as possible, the ambulance has nearly 800 separate parts and took 90 hours to make !

Re: Re:

slimjoe":24145khb said:
They are extremely good both the bikes and the v-dubs.

Saw the Yetis at Sharrocks back in the day and the dubs at bug freeze Stafford. Brill thanks for showing them again Red

Cheer's joe,

That seems such a long time ago, the bug freeze show i displayed them at must have been around 1997/8 ish :shock:
I still have the 1950s style garage that i built to show them on, albeit a bit neglected and dusty..

my vw split screen models & display by redfern1950s, on Flickr

RockiMtn":12920ri8 said:
those are awesome, good work mate! Thanks for sharing!

the pair of Yeti bikes are really great, but the VW is frick'n impressive!!!

Cheer's frank,

Glad you like, its a pleasure to show them, its just a shame the bike models are in such bad condition..

I think i should have a go at making the bikes again...

more vans.. the pick ups suspension can take the weight of a mug of coffee and still has travel.

fimo vw split screen pick up, ambulance & 1954 vw samba barndoor by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back