Mercian Superlight 1960

predki

Retro Guru
Bought an another frame... (if it looks familiar to you: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=273341), slowly building it up. Temporarily fitted some parts to see how it look like. Campagnolo Record derailleurs, headset, brakes and seatpost, Stronglight bottom bracket, chainset, Simplex retrofriction gear levers, GB Spearpoint stem, GB Maes handlebar, Barelli Supreme pedals. Wheels - Campagnolo Record large flange hubs and Fiamme sprint rims, 32/40.
I'm thinking of changing bb, chainset and gear levers to Campag, but for now it will stay like it is.

Few photos:
IMG_20140410_221712945.jpg

IMG_20140410_221728641.jpg

Ha!
That looks really nice so far. You must have a very good stash of parts.
I'm a bit jealous to say the least and I'm going to have to get my 1958 Super Vigorelli fixed up now. It won't ever look as good as your Superlight though.
We'll have to meet up and go for a ride in Essex or a spin down to Brighton or Hastings like dad and his mates used to do on his old single speed in the 50's, whilst mother used to wait at home for him to come back to take her to the pictures. He was famous for not making it back, as she keeps reminding him 60 years later. But the bike is still in the loft under a pile.
Maybe Uncle Monty would be up for that on his wizz bang Hetchins machine with some of the others.

"The Retrobike (British optional) London to Hastings " could be something in the pipe there.

Sweet! Perfect red and chrome is a tasty look! What's the saddle, BTW? I'm looking for something similar for my cor-blimey-gov-will-it-ever-end? resto project.

Re:

That looks very lovely indeed! I think your initial (and perhaps random) component selection appears to work well and certainly looks right. I understand the idea of having all the transmission Campag but I would be inclined to keep the Simplex levers, although I suppose that if you are being true to the period these will perhaps be too modern. I look forward to seeing the bike develop.

(Thinks...must update my Superlight thread)

Re:

Some quick updates, as usual I don't have much time for anything...
Bike is almost ready, only tyres to be glued :) already been for a ride, I couldn't resist...
The paint is original and in very good condition, except of few spots of superficial rust in the places where there was clamps (front dérailleur, cable clamps, gear levers..) Chrome is almost perfect (few tiny spots of rust, almost not visible).
The saddle on first photos is contemporary honey Brooks Swallow which I use for commuting, now I changed it for another Brooks Swallow, this one is much older and needs some refurbishment for ride (it is on new photos).
I changed levers for Campagnolo, chainset will stay as it is, I think. I'm thinking of changing bar tape to black
and now photos :)

IMG_20140415_165157328.jpg

IMG_20140415_165205665.jpg

IMG_20140415_165301004.jpg

IMG_20140415_165236723.jpg

IMG_20140415_165314203.jpg

IMG_20140415_165349656.jpg

IMG_20140415_165447087.jpg

And here more photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/10052109 ... 4486684369

Great bike, lovely patina and one that has clearly been loved and ridden. Simply gorgeous British engineering.

Back