Re: Ozone (AKA BigFoot) Retro Spuds winter project

Retro Spud":2u0n22uq said:
One design I’ve always wanted in my life was an E-Stay and now I’ve landed one.

Love the Alpinestars design but not a big fan of living in fear of it cracking so it had to be a Bigfoot or an Ozone

B.I.T.D as a 24yr old I raced the Ozone winter series and lusted after one of these, of course I never won or even came close to winning it but never the less I accepted my “taking part” loosers medal with pride…….amd my free t-shirt, Fast forward 20 yrs and I’ve finally got the real deal.

Living where I do I grew up in the shadow of the Malvern hills (home to the factory) and later on I used to pass Graham Foots 1st shop on the way to work every morning, so I feel a little more connected to this frame than my others.

Build wise is going to be a 1993 3DV fest of Anno, I have many parts left over from my ARC build that I want to find a home for so look away if you feel your stomach churning.

As for the purest I appreciate I've already committed a major act of heresy by selling off all the original kit in favour of a more U.S biased build, but given the quality of the Dukes rig and others I though it would make a change to build mine minus Pace forks, Hope Hubs and USE post etc.

I quess we'll have to wait and see if it was an inspired decision or a cardinel sin of biblical proportions

I love It, and I see no Biblical Sin insight.
You haven't taken a retro bike and Bolted a Pair of Ill fitting Modern suspension forks to it or anything silly.

In Fairness I honestly think that given the market at the time, the lack of choice of Uk parts compared to the Abundance of Choice from U.S imported components and the Marketing that went with it, The build choices you are making are Spot On.

Looking forward to seeing it finished, They do look extra special Polished with the Anodised trim, I must say.

:cool:

sinnerman":2k7yo6ea said:
Looking forward to seeing it finished, They do look extra special Polished with the Anodised trim, I must say.

:cool:

Let hope you still feel the same way the Carl :D

As Spring was fast approaching I thought I’d better get a move on with this slow burner
Having stripped it to almost a bare frame all the Anno was shipped of to Chris (Rampage) at Intrincycles
for a freshen up as a lot of the 3dv was either faded to pink in places or just very dull
Anyway Chris did the biz and I’ve just bolted it all back together… with unashamed homage / Zeal to the early 90’s
…. with Snowflakes both Front and Rear way too much Anno and skinny amber walled Conti 1.5 Cross Countries.

No sooner had I finished it than the opportunity to give it proper outing beckoned in the shape of 1st National RB ride of 2014 calendar Long Mynd…anyway here’s a few picture of the old girls pre and post ride including an impromptu ride out to feed the Ducks today

Since I didn't take a decent picture before heading for the Hills, you'll have to make to do with this Hoch-Potch collection
Better ones will follow :D

Frame: Ozone 18' e-Stay

Fork: Manitou 2 with rebuild kit from SuspensionFork Parts

Headset: Mavic 305 1.25’
Stem: 3DV Ringle Zooka
Handlebar: 3DV Answer Hyperlite
Grips: Onza Clear Porcupaws
Barends: 3dv Answer Hyperends (not in picture)

Brakes: 3dv Dia Compe 987
Brake Pads: Ritchey
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Cantilever cable hangers: 3DV Joes
Brake Levers: M900

Shifters: M900
Front Derailleur: 34.9mm M900 Endless Band
Rear Derailleur: M900
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: 11-28 modern M900 copy
Chain: SRAM (modern 8 speed)
Cranks: 3DV Cook Brother Racing
Crank Bolts: SRP
Chainrings: 110bcd Campagnolo 28-38-48
Chainring bolts: 3DV SRP
Bottom Bracket: 122mm
Pedals: Onza H.O with T.I axles

Hub Skewers: Ringle Holies

Rims: Mavic 217 Sunset
Hubs: 3DV 32h Pulstar
Nipples: 3DV Haro
Spokes: Unbranded Straight Pull (SnowFlaked)
Tyres: Continental 1.5 X Country
Tubes: 1-1.5 Continental

Saddle: Flite Red Label (re-issue)
Seatpost: Thompson with Layback
Seatpost Binder: 3dv Ringle

Weight: N/A

Attachments

• soiled Ozone.jpg
    soiled Ozone.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 995
  • ozone RB ride.jpg
    ozone RB ride.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 994
  • Rampage finest.jpg
    Rampage finest.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 995
  • rear mech.jpg
    rear mech.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 996
  • rear clean.jpg
    rear clean.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 996
  • chainring 1.jpg
    chainring 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 996
Re:

Better Pictures to follow.... Once she's dried and polished back to pre-ride glory

Attachments

• Feeding the Ducks.jpg
    Feeding the Ducks.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 989
  • shaun dirty.jpg
    shaun dirty.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 989
Re:

That looks GRRRRRREAT.

Just out of interest what are the canti straddle hangers? very neat :cool:

I'm usually not a fan of purple, but I gotta say...that looks great. What kind of brake cable hangars are those?

Gruff":1bfaljsu said:
That looks GRRRRRREAT.
Just out of interest what are the canti straddle hangers? very neat :cool:

sho220":1bfaljsu said:
I'm usually not a fan of purple, but I gotta say...that looks great. What kind of brake cable hangars are those?

Pleased you both like my Swaray into Anno…. Anno that people with "good taste" conveniently left in the mid 90's :LOL:
Since I never build to sell, or move on it's been a tad indulgent if I'm honest, and built exactly as I wanted :oops: admittedly some of the parts are cast off’s from my Yeti and others I gave good iron for !

In answer to your mutual questions The Canti Hangers are from Joe’s Components’ and to be honest I’d never seen anything quite like them before either, I came across them quite by accident when I stumbled upon this thread by Retrofit in the USA viewtopic.php?f=2&t=249804

He had a NOS set in Purple Anno, so a deal was struck and the transatlantic carrier pigeon dispatched.

Re:

That is a fantastical build, great work.

The Manitous suit it really well.

Really regret selling mine - great riding bike.

Drop graham foot a line at slam69 he'd like to see another one restored I'm sure!

Re:

Coleman":1v9b4ys9 said:
That is a fantastical build, great work.

The Manitous suit it really well.

Really regret selling mine - great riding bike.

Drop graham foot a line at slam69 he'd like to see another one restored I'm sure!

Adrian many thanks for the kind comments, coming from a guy like you who knows his eggs it really means a lot.

I saw Footy a few months back and intend to run the Ozone over to his shop sometime soon as I've a new (NOS) Mavic 305 headset that I want fitted, would love to get a picture of him and my Ozone together, He's such an approachable guy I’m sure I’ll have no problem in getting a snap of two.
The build turned out well, albeit that the Elastomers I went with (Firm) are exactly that … a hell of a lot firmer than Pace’s idea of firm and in hindsight a mistake, you live and learn ! :oops:

Its most likley going to be my rider at Mayhem this year

I’ve a few pictures from the previous owner which I’ll post later, I’m ashamed to say once the headsets replaced the only thing I’ll have kept/saved will be the frame. However it had seen a lot of naturally wear & tear but was otherwise well taken care of.

See Yah in the Dean soon if I don’t see you before in Surrey on the 27th

Re:

few pictures courtesy of the previous owner before being re-incarnated

The crazily long stem and the Riser with Barends really wasn't me, but the rest was okay and all original

Attachments

• ozone 6.jpg
    ozone 6.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 923
  • onone 5.jpg
    onone 5.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 923
  • ozone 4.jpg
    ozone 4.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 923
  • ozone 5.jpg
    ozone 5.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 923
  • Looking like a Mousse 3.jpg
    Looking like a Mousse 3.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 924
  • ozone 2.jpg
    ozone 2.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 924
  • Ozone_Bigfoot 1.jpg
    Ozone_Bigfoot 1.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 924

So cool now it's built.
Snowflake rear wheel though!!! Non-drive side maybe but both sides jeez. Does the rear wheel feel tight?

Love the bike though.

Back