Raleigh Randonneur

Many thanks for your reply Rich, and for the welcome.

There are spoke holders on the rear right, and the seat post is 27.2mm so presumably double butted 531. The bike is ridiculously light (at least to me- my only other bike is a Raleigh Pulsar)!

It has braze-ons all over the bike, presumably for racks.

I'm really chuffed with the bike, and I'm thinking it is a Randonneur because at least some of the components must be original, and they are by all accounts pretty high spec. The front fork with 'Royal' on it was the only thing that got me thinking it may not be.

Either way, Royal or Rando, it will out perform its jockey so I'm delighted with it! Will post pics next week, when it comes back.

Jon

retro-rich":37nmaone said:
Hi Jon

Welcome to the rando fan club :)

I think you mean the seat stays, with Raleigh embossed on them.

The Royal was another similar model, unless you just have forks from that bike. I think the main difference was how many parts of the tube set were 531 and which normal. the 531 sticker usually states what the tubeset is but presumably yours was lost with the new paint job.

One of the main indicators of a Randonneur is the spoke holders on the rear right chain stay, but this may depend on the age as I think some were changed around.

I look forward to seeing some pics

Rich

Re:

Thread revival with an update:

Been a while since I've had chance to work on the bikes for various reasons, but I think this is now ready to be tried on the road :)

The wheels on the bike are my first attempt at wheel building, I had a wheel set with Quando hubs so I rebuilt with Tiagra and new spokes, and respaced the frame to 130mm.
The chainset is a second hand XD2 triple with some nice big platform pedals.

Looking forward to road testing but rain stopped play just as a finished setting her up today - maybe later.

Here's some pics

Attachments

• SDC11163a.jpg
    SDC11163a.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 921
  • SDC11166a.jpg
    SDC11166a.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 921
  • SDC11169b.jpg
    SDC11169b.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 921
Spokes

Just in the process of restoring my 1991 Randonneur. Anyone know offhand what the lengths of the spokes were on this thing? I just want to add the two spares on the stay (I think I actually used mine). Doesn't look complete without them.

Back