BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Last year I bought an 1988 24" wheeled Cannondale from the forum, carried out a bit of a restoration and then sold it on due to it being too small viewtopic.php?f=6&t=254914

I've always had a soft spot for the old 'dales so after winning a couple of eBay auctions I've got enough bits to at least have the start of a project.

The original Cannondale mountain bike frame, a 1984 SM500

Re:

Unfortunately the original forks were long separated from the frame but I managed to get my hands on a bunch of parts from an SM600 of the following year which was being split due to a damaged frame. Parts include forks, wheels, seatpost and rollercams. The forks are from a 22" frame so the steerer is a little on the long side right now :LOL:

Excuse the pics taken in the dark but here's a bit of a mock up

Re:

That's a great project!! I'm really looking forward to see the result :D
I've always had a spot for those 80's Dales. I'm also restauring a 87' SM500. I really love those bikes :shock:

Re:

i have seen these before here and there and i always wondered, what was the reasoning behind the smaller rear wheel?

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":2747r0sc said:
i have seen these before here and there and i always wondered, what was the reasoning behind the smaller rear wheel?

The idea was that the smaller rear wheel meant shorter chainstays and improved traction plus the ability to hop the rear wheel over obstacles more easily.

Not sure what it's like in reality though. I guess time will tell.

Another project bike ?
Haven't you got enough on the go ? :D
Looks like a brilliant start point tho, saw one of these in Cannock late 80's it certainly stood out !

Re: Re:

ety935rs":228gjg2t said:
That's a great project!! I'm really looking forward to see the result :D
I've always had a spot for those 80's Dales. I'm also restauring a 87' SM500. I really love those bikes :shock:

Don't hold your breath for this one although I should have something similar, although a little more complete, to share soon!

Retro_Roy":228gjg2t said:
congrats!!! good score. :cool: will be watching it unfold.
here's the link to mine. they are fun little beasties.
roy

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=256286&hilit=sm500

I noticed right away the difference in welds on these earlier models. They are a lot more obvious than the smooth, filed down welds from the late 1980's.

How does the 26/24" compare with the 24x24" in terms of sizing Roy? I was unable to ride my 24x24" with any degree of comfort.

Bryncrug72":1yf111oe said:
Are you going to strip and repaint this ?

Definitely not Martin. It will get treated to a clean, bit of colour restore and a wax polish although I am going to try and get a colour match to get the forks repainted.

I'm planning on period correct rather than catalogue spec especially since I really don't want a rear caliper brake on there. I'll either keep the Odyssey Pitbull rear brake or get an adaptor plate to run a rear rollercam to match the front.

Back