Kona Explosif 1999

Hi, reading your kona thread with interest as I own a 99 explosif too. Mine is full factory spec. and was bought as an investment as it has only covered about 500 dry miles from new,it even has the original receipt and manuals and kona touch up paint. Even the tyres, tubes, chain, sprokets etc are original. I dont think I will ever ride it as it is and am gathering my dream build parts to rebuild it with king, xtr, hope, Thomson etc and thus put all the original bits carefuy into storage. The only part non factory is the grips! To be honest, once ive built this up as a no expense spared dream build, I cant see me ever parting with it, so the factory bits will never be used again and may thus beup for sale to a good home. Original kona catalogue parts will include, mavic 221 wheels, ritchey front hub, lx chainset, bottom bracket, front mech, xt rear mech, kona post and stem, the rare ritchy red spd's, the ultra rare red edition avid v's and levers, the original headset and the red andblack sdg saddle as in the catalogue. The only issue is a small tear in one corner of the saddle to be honest. I even have the original kona tyres which are still mint! Like I have said, all this is going into storage as the bike has just been a garage queen all of its life and when its rebuilt I will use it without the worry of messing up these parts. I may be open to serious offers to fund the huge dream spec build to the right person. Remember when you bolt this lot on, your bike will be 100% factory original spec apart from the grips, and all of it hardly used!

Re:

It's been almost a year since I've posted on this thread, I'm ashamed of myself! Despite accruing and then selling plenty of parts, the one constant is that the bike still isn't fully built :oops:

I ditched the Z2's for some newer bombers, but was really on the look out for a set of Manitou SX Carbons, they're period correct and I figured the carbon would look good with the frame. I've also accrued some red Maguras and a red handlebar, although I'm not totally sure about it, I might go back to black after all, you know what they say!

Here's how it looks today after fitting my new forks, the brakes and the bars, apologies for the crazy front brake hose and lack of cables/chain. The brakes were a trial fitting and the chain and cables might go on tomorrow.

Attachments

• Explosif 1.jpg
    Explosif 1.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 657
  • Explosif 2.jpg
    Explosif 2.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 657
Looking very nice indeed! Love the red bars and red maguras. The only thing that I would change is the crank arms for some nice red Raceface Turbines to make it 100% perfect IMO. Doubt if you will run into too many 1999 Explosives as they seem quite rare these days.

Re:

Finally got it finished!

The gears still need a bit of a tweak, but it's looking and feeling exactly as I imagined which is great. Most of the parts are period correct with the exception of a couple.

Frame: Kona Explosif 1999 (no minter but I'll be using it as often as possible, so it's probably for the best).
Forks: Manitou SX Carbon 1999.
Wheels: LX hubs with Zac Rims (I'll be replacing these for the summer).
Crank set: Shimano LX.
Front Mech: Shimano XT.
Rear Mech: Shimano XT.
Shifters: Shimano LX.
Brakes: Magura HS33 with Evo 2 mounts (sorry, not period correct!).
Bars: X-Lite XC in red.
Stem: Kona.
Seatpost: Kona.
Seat: SDG Bel Air RL (I've had this for years and years, it goes on all my bikes).
Pedals: DMR V12.
Headset: FSA Orbit MX.
Grips: Bikehut lockon.
Bar plugs: X-Lite.

I think that's everything, the build is more substance over style, but it's similar to how it was built up as standard and I trust everything to keep working despite my amateur bike mechanic skils!

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 613
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 613
Back