Found my old Raleigh racer in Dads Garage

OK pretty much sorted this one. Basically the front brake kind of clears the rim on the one side by a cats whisker but its enough not to rub, i cant seem to get it any better than that.
I have taken off the black cover and underneath is the allen wrench thing, then two nuts, then the caliper (front and back) and then behind this is a kind of odd shaped thing with two lugs knocked out of it. When the allen wrench bolt is turned it turns the inner thread which turns this odd shaped thing which pulls the caliper in and out. In essence though, when i turn the allen wrench thing, it turns everything. Is this correct?

Yea undo the nuts and that will let you strip and clean make sure when you reassemble it you get the nut tightness right to allow the arms to move free but with no forward\backwards play

I cant seem to undo those two nuts which sit behind the allen wrench bit, these are the two nuts that sit in front of the caliper. I am not too sure which way to turn them to undo them, they are really tight.

Yea they are locked against each other you need to hold the back one and turn anti clock wise the front one

Update on this project. Eventually finished it, had to get new callipers unfortunately but ultimately managed to get it working again which was nice.

Sadly though, chained snapped on me this morning on my way to a sponsored ride which was a bit harsh, anyone know if its possible just to purchase another chain? (if so what one would i get?) or would i have to buy loads of other bits as well?

Lee

Depends.

If the cogs on the back wheel are original, they almost definitely need replacing too because your chain totally wore out, and when chains are worn out they eat cogs.

Worn out cogs + new chain = chain slips

But if the cogs and are ok, you can just buy a cheapo 5/6/7gear bike chain and a chain-breaker tool, there's loads of info on how to do it on the internet, takes 5 minutes.

Lee,

You can buy a chain - easily. And also easy to fit. What is the budget?

Richard

Yea the cogs on the back wheel are the original and are most likely to play a part in this one.

My budget to get this one back on the road is about £150, i already have a chain break tool (yay)

If i am replacing the back cogs, which ones should i get? Is this what they call a cassette? I think that there is a special tool to get these bad boys off

Also, would i have to replace the front cogs where the pedals are (crank i think) and also the derailleur?

It's a gaspiper from 84, what you're dealing with is a freewheel. five cogs, right?

No need to replace the derailleur, and your chainring is fine.

You could buy a 6-speed freewheel, the derailleur might need adjusting but that's about it. They're basically generic parts until you need indexing, wot your bike doesn't do.

Others on here will be able to advise what tool fits the freewheel you've got now. You only need it to take it off, they screw back on by hand.

Back