Raleigh RSP 600 ti retro/modern build hopefully

Paceg60

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've wanted a raleigh rsp for quite some time now, I remember as a teenager seeing one of these in my local raleigh dealers and wanting it so badly, but my paper round could not strech to the whopping £3000 price tag :shock:
But I joined retro bike and while searching for some parts for my pace rc200 I found a thread saying raleigh frame for sale, so I thought I'd have a look even though I had no money at the time, I think it was back in October last year. I opened the thread and there in the picture was a RSP 600 frame with forks, stem, bars and seatpost. So I got in touch with the seller and said I am very interested in buying the frame, would there be any chance he could wait until new year for the money? (Thought this is a long shot) What a great bloke, I can't remember his user name on here, all I know is he is called Simon, he said it was fine to wait until the new year, as it turned out it was a bit longer than early new year, it's now march! The deal is now done, payment made and the frame and parts are in the hands of my father in law who is delivering the to me this evening.
I can't wait, going to be such a slow day at work.
As far as building it goes, I think for now I'm going to build it up with what parts I've got, and maybe swap some m950 xtr bits off of my marin mount vision pro onto the raleigh, so I can get out and ride it.
But as time passes it will evolve, I'd like to build it using more modern parts on the old frame, maybe 2 x 10 setup?? We'll see.
I will update with pictures once the frame arrives.

Re: Raleigh RSP 600 ti

Well I took delivery of my frame and forks yesterday evening, really happy with it. Here are some pictures of it when I got it out of the box,

cleaned the frame and forks up last night, fitted the forks, stem, bars, wheels, seatpost and saddle to get a feel for it. I will hopefully get it built up complete tomorrow evening then take it out for a blast over the weekend :D
il get some more pictures posted up once its built up

I like to think Raleigh got wind of how Kona "disguised" their Hei Hei's as Hot's by painting them in the super cool rasta flame schema, and thought - we'll do the same ;-)

Cool bike!

I got it built up over the weekend and took it out for a run round the local trails yesterday afternoon. it nice and light and rides a treat. Im planning some alterations for the future, but this is how it stands for now.

Frame: RSp 600 titanium
Fork: Rockshox SID
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Raceface Deus
Handlebar: X-Lite pro Titanium
Grips: Yeti
Barends: X-lite (not fitted yet im undecided)
Brakes: Shimano XTR m952 V's
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR cartridge
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR m952
Shifters: Shimano XTR m952
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR m952 e type
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR m952
Cassette: Shimano XTR m952 9 speed
Chain: Shimano XTR 9 speed
Cranks: Shimano XTR m952
Chainrings: XTR
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR
Pedals: DMR V8
Hub Skewers: Shimano XTR m950
Rims: Mavic x517 SUP
Hubs: Shimano XTR m950
Tyres: Specialized fast track
Saddle: Selle Itallia Flite
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost clamp: Hope Qr

Here's some pics of it built up

She looks Superb! The XTR grey really sets off the frame colour (which is extraordinary - great attention to detail and painted in and out! - I have the brochure).
I think it's a perfect match of XTR nd the 517 Sup rims!

I like the Syncros seat post too - a black Syncros stem would be ideal!

You going to keep the Sids?

I think stripped looks good, to be honest both stripped raw Ti and this original scheme are equally good, what do you prefer? I'm not sure myself.

Yeah I do really like the paint and I never knew that they were painted inside and out. But then again I like the stripped look it gives nice clean lines and opens up the choice of colours that can be put with it. I am also unsure as to what I prefer.
I will probably change the SIDS in the future, I like the colour match but I don't think the forks are all that, they don't have much adjustment. Also I think they are in need of a service and new seal as they don't hold air that well. But I don't know what I would upgrade too??
I've got the original syncros stem that came on the bike from factory, I tried it on the bike when I was building it up but I don't like the look of it, too bulky and the bar clamp is silver while the rest of the stem is black.
I'm planning on upgrading to discs in the near future, I'm planning on using the magura Louise's that it originally had but in the floro yellow version instead of the stock silver. I've got one of them already just need to get a matching one. But this will mean I need to change the hubs and I really like the XTR ones, so I'm unsure as to what to go for, I thought of maybe so hope ones being British made maybe in gunmetal grey??

from 1999

2lax1dy.jpg

bhc50y.jpg

ifdhsl.jpg

from 2000 catalogue

file.php

I chose the Magura Quake's from the 2000 spec. I absolutely love the Quake's. They look and ride superb

Re:

After being out on the bike a few times now, I love how light it is and the sharpness of a titanium frame, it's been fun out on the local trails, but I can't compare it to the 08 commencial meta. But using it on leisure rides around local resevoirs, cycle routes and clocking up miles on the Tarmac I love it. So with this in mind, I'm planning to keep it simple and keep the weight down, here are the changes I've got planned.
I've always fancied doing a retro ti frame build with modern parts.
Any feedback on the ideas I have would be appreciated positive or negative, and if anyone can recommend different parts to those that I've chosen go ahed.
Firstly I plan on having the paint stripped so that it leaves the raw ti finish on the frame, then changing the forks for the SIDS to some pace rc31 carbon rigid's.
Then the drive train to sram X01 1x11 setup,
Purple hope pro2 hubs on some new rims (don't know what yet, please help)
Thompson elite stem,
Raceface next sl carbon bars,
Hope xc2 discs
Thompson elite seatpost
Sdg bel air ti saddle.
Il keep the king headset and the fast track tyres.
At the minute these are just ideas, so any feedback would be great.

looking good in regards spec idea.
I did much the same, chose a theme and a style and let it gradually change and evolve over time.
The pace forks are a very good choice. I;d like to se show it looks mate!

Latest posts

Back