south west roll call!!! show us your ugly mug!!!

New member introduction

Hi, I'm Neil, and I've just discovered this forum when Googling "Claud Butler Avant Coureur". I live near Weymouth. I collect, restore, preserve, ride and research lightweight touting, club and racing bikes from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. My current collection includes:
1938 Langsett AM Continental (original paint and transfers)
1936 Raleigh Record Ace (original paint and transfers)
1938 Claud Butler Continental Classique (original paint and transfers)
1939 R O Harrison Super Circuit
1930s Alcyon (original paint and transfers)
1948 Claud Butler Avant Coureur first model with head and seat tube bilaminate "lugs" only on the main tubes; this model was subsequently re-named the Sport Anglais
1950 Bates BAR
1951 R O Harrison Madison
1951 Leach Marathon
1951 Claud Butler Massed Start
1953 Gillott Taper Tube
1953 Claud Butler Road Track
1955 Mal Rees Rameles
2000 Bates Volante Italia
Most of my photos are on my other computer, which has recntly died, but I've attached (I hope) a couple of pics of my Bates Bar and Avant Coureur. Pics of my R O Harrison Super Circuit, Gillott Taper Tube and W P Newton (which I no longer own) are on the Classic Lightweights website.

Attachments

• CB-reduced.gif
    CB-reduced.gif
    176.7 KB · Views: 8,368
  • Bates-reduced.gif
    Bates-reduced.gif
    176.7 KB · Views: 8,368
dsc03130lx.jpg

I think I'd better introduce myself......

I'm Jon and live in the wilds of Trowbridge. My bikes to date are;

1949 Rudge SS
1996 Giant Boulder shock MTB - in need of a massive overhaul
2007 Giant Compact Road

I also have the frames for 1950's and 60's Raleighs (x2), a Sun and a Triumph. Future projects....

I'm more of a social rider and not very fast. Tend to stick to the roads, cycle paths and tow paths.

Damn I'm always late to the party!

I live in Chandlers Ford so I'm kinda SW and kinda SE although as they say west is best! Been riding MTB's since my first Raleigh Mustang back in 88 ish (the purple white spray one and it was shite!). Rapidly progressed onto Marin bikes by 90/91 and have loved many of them over the last 20 odd years (see my sig). Had the nickname Wookiee for years as I used to have long hair from 16-32 then started loosing it so and an ex Wookiee now! Found Retro bike when searching for a 91 Team Marin some 4 years ago and have found it the friendliest forum I have known. My current rides cover a few styles....

- 1991 Team Marin.
- 2012 Santa Cruz Highball 29er.
- 2013 Specialized Allez road bike.

I mainly ride over Lordswood near Chilworth/Southampton but do venture into the New Forest and in the past year over to the Purbecks with Pyro Tim and Makster etc...did my 1st Mayhem last year and it was nice to find a few like minded souls.

Doug (wookiee)

Attachments

• Karakoram 1991 2.jpg
    Karakoram 1991 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 7,772
  • mayhem crop.jpg
    mayhem crop.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 7,772
  • 10400847_10152378509844024_178300221702583399_n.jpg
    10400847_10152378509844024_178300221702583399_n.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 7,270
Hoping to get out and about this year as I really hope to get something, anything!! put together in the next few weeks and get my fitness level back up. Once I feel I won't embarrass myself too much I'll try and get on an RB ride, hopefully Woodbury Common way. GT in pic has gone now, currently working on my 'dale and Kona.... :facepalm:

Attachments

• Retro's big day out 008.JPG
    Retro's big day out 008.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 7,769
We should be organising a Woodbury ride in the upcoming months mate, something to aim towards!

Good point, but for those not attending either of those I could lead a spin around Woodbury if anyone wants.

Re:

Hi
I took over an old bike shop last August in Sherborne, Dorset. I have worked in industry most of my life and fancied a change from the conformist, corporate world.

The shop is in a courtyard including two barns with a lot of old bikes and bits, a workshop, garage, shop and store area. Sadly some of the old stuff is not in great condition as the roof of one building was not too good, there is also a lot of NOS some of which I don't know the use of, but it might be interesting to you guys. There are rims, hubs, forks, some wild retro sunnies by Rudi Project, USA design mitts, sharks fin chain stay protectors, old bar tape, fork braces, anodised bling bits like seat post clamps, fluorescent coloured cable packs, foam tube pads/protectors. Some of it may be tat.... or maybe its treasure me hearties... Yo Ho Ho!

You can see some of the fun stuff we get involved like supplying a Moulton to Mr Moulton, the Indian Rickshaw, Thomas Hardy's bike on our Facebook page Rileys Cycles.

To see pictures of the shop and what this old git looks like, have a peek at http://www.rileyscycles.co.uk/wp-conten ... /shop1.jpg
The blue bike in the workshop is my 1950 lugless Claud Butler. I ride anything including a Giant lafree ebike, flatbar racer, I am fond of quirky bikes and enjoy riding rat bikes or custom small wheel bikes, postmans bike etc and love the simplicity of single speed bikes. We have some real old bone shakers we have hired for period plays and fix all sorts in our workshop.

We now have new tenants, the Vintage Barn sharing our courtyard, Rich is a retro BMX fan and always has some interesting bikes and bits so it is worth checking us out if you are in the area.

Mike

Back