Funny Story

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
So I'm sure many of you know I live in Durango, CO, USA... and I'm friends with Chris Herting from 3D. And I'm sure many of you know Chris and his brother were the first two Yeti employees in Agoura Hills, CA, blah blah blah..

I was talking with him this afternoon about powder coating my lava dome, and he told me this funny story about these crazed Yeti fans that keep calling him.

Apparently back in the day, he and Parker got in a bunch of carbon tubes to see whether they wanted to begin a production carbon bike. Scary knowing this was before 1992... and I guess a lot of those tubes were stolen from the factory. So about a week ago, some guy in Germany calls him up and says, "hey I just won these carbon Yeti tubes on ebay, can you make me a bike out of them." Chris immediately recognized the stolen tubes, and rather than call the guy out, he told him he'd do it for [alot] of money. The guy was appalled, and Chris simply said, "well, enjoy those carbon tubes you've got no other use for."

Just imagine what the bike would look like!

No! I dont think so... the seller was KingCag... and thats Andrew! He runs king Cage here in town (Titanium water bottle cages).

the C26 in pieces frameset king kage sold went to "bestrails" in the US.
I didnt keep track of where the bare carbon tubes went, maybe if some1 else already had some lugs they could get 1 built up.
Does Andrew claim any kinda warranty for the king kages? mine have literally worn thru the tubing...

in whatever case C26s were pulled from normal production for a reason. (IE any future C26s that appear are well hangers only) I've heard it was due to too tight tolerances between tube & lug? (chinese whispers?).

heck chris herting should know. C in "C26" stands for chris & the "26" was the age of chris when he built them :)

Back