Chainset Advice (modern)

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm after a new chainset for my road bike/commuter...
(at the moment I'm running a retro xt with biggish rings :oops: )
I have a XT hollowtech BB spare so I'm tempted to go for Shimano Hollowtech.
couple of Q's chaps any help greatly appreciated

Are MTB BBs compatible with road chainsets?
whats the difference in weight/ quality within the Shimano range?
Is my Shimano 8 speed chain gonna be compatible with a triple?

Ta

:)

MTB bb tend to be wider. I'd stay away from new shimano BB. I use 2007 XT for going to work. A year old and needs replacing :evil: I'll replace it with Hope BB. When saved the money

I'd go for a Campag square taper setup. The BBs are sub 10 quid and very durable, square taper chainsets are easily available NOS and the rings are very durable, waaaaay harder than Shimano.

I've gone for a ultrega triple at £70 on CRC... got sucked in by the massive reduction haha

I'm not allowed Campag- my fear is that I'd buy a chainset and then I'd have to get everything else to match!

Chainset should come in the post tomorrow- I've yet to stick up pictures of the Harry Quinn- if I can get it all together b4 work will post some.

Are MTB BBs compatible with road chainsets?
Sometimes yes. Need to know which chainset you are thinking of.

whats the difference in weight/ quality within the Shimano range? Depends where in the range you are looking. Again more info please.

Is my Shimano 8 speed chain gonna be compatible with a triple?
Yes

Questions like this are my 9 to 5 job....

CTK":tp73oaco said:
I've gone for a ultrega triple at £70 on CRC...

You might regret this.

You are likely to get front mech issues and you'll probably need a new BB too. XT ran on BBES71 or 51 which is not the same splines as BB6500 (you need longer 118mm version which is getting harder to find these days) and offset is different too.

Thanks for that advice-well I shall have a fiddle tomorrow and see whats what...

Back