Is the FIA biaised against McClaren?

South Bound":4u23wu9p said:
Good grief. How on earth do you think he has got to where he is today

Must say, I do wonder how good a driver I would be if I had been pushed into it from an early age and then groomed by a top team from pre-teenage. Boy has talent, but also has a huge step-up from the team...

Erm, South Bound, have you taken a sudden interest in F1? :LOL:
You might want to check some facts ;)

Adolf accepted in an interview last year that there was an FIA bias towards Ferrari, on the grounds that both he and Ecclestone were English, as is Charlie Whiting etc etc, so he suggested that it was necessary for FIA to be seen to be more than fair towards Ferrari to avoid the whole thing looking like a cosy pro-English club.

And it's well known that he hates Ron Dennis, who is a common former mechanic, whilst he himself is of course the model of a perfect gentleman, being the son of a famous knight of the realm. Funny he hasn't been made a knight of the realm himself really. I wonder why not?

Anyway there won't be any accusations of bias in future of course, once Jean Todt takes over.

Harryburgundy":2k2cfkyk said:
Sure he has enjoyed a lot of encouragement/grooming from Mac, but also he has started at the bottom with karting and earned it all the way to be where he is today. You have to be very, very, very good to make it to the top...just like Kubica etc.
Yes, he has made some silly mistakes...but it is only his 2nd season.....to be fair, we've seen more careless driving from Alonso this year.

he has some talent , but in F1 , doesnt matter how good you are if you havent got the money and support you wont make it . as simple as that .
The brother of my accountant is a good driver , he won Le Mans on a porshe , races in japan a lot , but cant get the cash to jump into a F1 . he had trials a few years ago with lower teams , but could not get sponsors to buy him a seat .

I think LH will win the championship if he stays with Mc Laren , but if Mercedes takes over and LH doesnt get better results soon , he will be back racing kartings .

Erm, South Bound, have you taken a sudden interest in F1?
You might want to check some facts

Which facts mate? Talented driver - undoubtedly. Given a leg-up from an early age - no argument.

My point was just that as a normal bloke I hate the idea of these primos lording it on squillions of pounds because they have been pushed/supported/funded (pick one) from an early age. I am jealous, yes, would swap places with any professional sportsman, but also feel it gets a bit silly sometimes. Reminds me of Coulthard (can't support him, sorry!) who had a Winnebago (Spelling!) to go karting - how does Joe Bloggs compete with that? Blah blah, society is so unfair!!!!

South Bound":2rruplrg said:
Which facts mate? Talented driver - undoubtedly. Given a leg-up from an early age - no argument.
My point was just that as a normal bloke I hate the idea of these primos lording it on squillions of pounds because they have been pushed/supported/funded (pick one) from an early age. I am jealous, yes, would swap places with any professional sportsman, but also feel it gets a bit silly sometimes. Reminds me of Coulthard (can't support him, sorry!) who had a Winnebago (Spelling!) to go karting - how does Joe Bloggs compete with that? Blah blah, society is so unfair!!!!
Most of the junior formulae in which Hamilton excelled before he got into F1 were one-make formulae. So his car was no better than anybody else's, but he won. Of course he was privileged to have a drive at all, but so was everybody else in the race. And once you start winning, it becomes easier to get sponsorship for the following season in a higher formula.

I don't think Hamilton has had much more support than others who have come through the same progression. In fact far less than Rosberg and Piquet (with Bruno Senna on his way), whose fathers were all F1 world champions. And yet nobody criticises them as over-privileged. And even Kubica has come through the same progression through the junior formulae with the same kind of support, but he isn't slagged off in Poland the way Hamilton is here.

I wonder whether the contrast is just an issue of the basic level of patriotism in these countries.

Thanks for taking over Anthony...I give up. :LOL:
A little knowledge gleaned from tabloid press, or snip-bits from the telly seem to be enough for some people to make judgments about LH on here. Or F1 in general.
Anyway, here's hoping for an interesting race this weekend :D
Carl

Chill guys, I never made any judgements, read my posts. My question was genuine about howgood I could have been given the same circumstances. Similar to a rhetorical question I have about how good I would be at cricket (my real love) had my parents sent me to Winchester at 11 when a place was offered, rather than discovering it in mid-teens.

A little knowledge gleaned from tabloid press, or snip-bits from the telly seem to be enough for some people to make judgments about LH on here. Or F1 in general.

Kindly don't judge my knowledge, HB, I have spent enough time on tracks to make an informed opinion, to which we are all entitled.
Take care

Hhhhmmm lets change the subject as getting a little heated...

So do you all think that the grand snooze is a great advert for the "pinnacle" of Motorsport ?

Back