Derek Wilkins??

Tuckerjenkins

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,
does anyone have any information on the above framebuilder?
All i can find out is that he built some frames in Derby.

I've just bought a Derek Wilkins Frame/forks built from 531 SL and wondered if anyone has one of his frames?

Many thanks

J :D

Derek was one of several brothers who were/are members of Derby Mercury CC. He had a shop in Spondon where (I think) he built the frames. He also built tandems which 2 of his brothers raced with some success (they always beat me!). Not sure when he closed, I last visited the shop in the late 80's.

Thanks - i checked the Derby Mercury website and it appears he's still active - i'll try and make contact with him through that route.

Old Ned":qjojvo1u said:
Derek was one of several brothers who were/are members of Derby Mercury CC. He had a shop in Spondon where (I think) he built the frames. He also built tandems which 2 of his brothers raced with some success (they always beat me!). Not sure when he closed, I last visited the shop in the late 80's.

As Ned says shop was in Spondon Don`t know the exact time they closed I think it was more adrift away, I cannot remember exactly but I seem to remember the grapevine saying that one of the brothers had passed away in the late 80`s, so maybe if true, was the reason for closure.

The three Wilkins Bros - Derek, John and Ralph (my dad) were all from Spondon and were heavily involved in cycling one way or another. They joint owned the Wilkins Bros cycling shop in Spondon which closed in the late 80s, my Uncle Derek still has his bike (and car) workshop near Stanley / West Hallam.

Derek made race quality frames and bikes right the way through the 70s and 80s, particularly for Derby Mercury club members. Derek is now in his 80s and is still active with the cycling club (he is President) and regularly rides.

My dad Ralph and my uncle John Wilkins both raced solo and tandem (together), they mainly competed in time trails at amateur level and held numerous national vet time trial records for 10s and 25s.

(Contrary to the earlier post they are all alive and well) :D

Jamie Wilkins wrote:

(Contrary to the earlier post they are all alive and well)

Very good to hear :D
Thanks for the update and adding the information from a personal side.
Maybe you could pass on to us some of the tales, I'm sure your dad and uncles have of their days in the business.
Thanks again and all the best
Jamie

Re:

HI, I used to race alongside son Simon and vey much looked to Ralph as a mentor and hero to be honest ! Derek used to run the bike shop with John and John and Ralph used to race the goods and boy they all made time records - it was a lifestyle and very impressive !

Derby Mercury in those days was a family & friends outfit & produced very fast racers, Mick Potts. Adrian Fearn etc, Matt (not sure anyone remembers me)

Welcome aboard Matt :)
This threads been idle for a while but hopefully you might bring it back into life.

Jamie

So how's everyone else ?

Ralph, Wendy, John Wilkins etc.

Again - great days Jamie; I used to go to 10's with Simon and your dad, Long Eaton Paragon etc. too - great days.

In-fact I still have the Rotrax frame I used to race in those days, and a median I should sell.

Do you remember me Jamie ? Are your mum & dad still in Kirk Hallam ?

Hey - anyone want to buy a Rotrax from or a Mercian (excellent cond. the mercian - only do 500 miles and approx: 15 years old)
Matt

Back