1989 Merlin Titanium ... Dual Roller Cam Time!!

UPDATE:

Sooo.. I put longer brake pads on the front... this might actually work..

What do you think?? (I want to find some cooler looking pads... these are just cheapies to test...)

note: open to suggestions on cool pads =)

Attachments

• image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 890
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 889
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 889
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 890
shutter":3ml7qpf3 said:
The pads on there are the NOS ones with threaded posts, can I use non threaded post ones in there?
shutter":3ml7qpf3 said:
UPDATE: Sooo.. I put longer brake pads on the front... this might actually work..
What do you think?? (I want to find some cooler looking pads... these are just cheapies to test...)
note: open to suggestions on cool pads =)
You should stick with whatever type of pads (threaded or non-threaded) that Suntour supplied. Doing anything else is stupid/dangerous.

My pad advice-
Good pads: Modern KoolStop
Vintage correct pads: Old KoolStop or Suntour
Good vintage correct pads: WTB (non-threaded only) or Mathauser

Really? But you can't even get threaded canti pads can you?

Excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with putting a threadless one in a threaded hole? It's pressure clamped in anyways, if anything the threads may bite in an hold it better...

Hmmm... well, the mount does look similar to the ones that use smooth posts (i.e., no wedge washers, etc.). Maybe someone with more experience on the particular Suntours you've got can chime in. (I've got a few RC's, but none are Suntours ;)) In general, if it's a bike you intend to ride, I would be very reluctant to do anything "ghetto" with the brakes.

Good point, but I think (I guess) they designed it to take either because the non threaded one goes right in there. The threads will actually bite in and hold the pad shaft better than a smooth non threaded hole. But any input for someone else would be apprectaied =)

Thx!

That cam you're using is the narrow type, Suntour made wide ones for the XCD roller cams that will work and should solve the problem (see below). Check Ebay (am I allowed to say that here?) they aren't that uncommon, or better yet just make them yourself using your existing cam plate as a template.

1F0CDB54-C4F7-4798-893D-38DC47288C49.jpeg

Have you seen those on ebay ?
There's 2 holes on the end of arms for adjusting the plate wide, like mine on my Merlin… :D

Or those like shown by Anomie

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Oooooo thanks! That looks like the plate I need... Thanks!!! eBay here I come!!

I can make one but might be simpler to buy if I get a deal

Thx!!!

Back