1995 DBR Axis Team Titanium -> new pic on page 11

Re: 1995 DBR Axis Team Titanium *CHANGE OF PLAN (PAGE 4)*

I have only just seen this post and have to say please God do not cut off the gear hanger etc............

I love my Axis TT and I know others on this sight love them or lust after one.

When its gone its gone and to my mind it would be sacrilege to butcher this to make a "clean" single speed.

Before I am told off for not understanding the single speed way of riding I had a Haro dedicated SS from the mid 90s.
Lovely it was too though I broke the frame due to its design and the need to have a huge amount of seat pin showing.
Though I got another I just sold it to a shorter mate so not to do the same again. I still have a early 90s steel framed
bike done up as a single speed but the cable stops & hanger are staying.

If I understood correctly the suggestion to grind off everything gear related from the frame was not a serious one.

Anyway. I have no such plans.

Received the splined cog, 15T.
261yo04.jpg

The machining of the cog/hub interface is just beatiful. Goes on easily but there is no movement in the cog. I turned the lockring around so that it would support the cog as much as possible. Measured chainlined is 44,0 mm dead-on.
im2bg1.jpg

I removed the cranks and the bb. Then I cleaned the threads thoroughly. Paint thinner and acetone. Clean as a whistle.
zvzpdk.jpg

I applied this thing to the treads.
loctite_243_seal.JPG

The I cranked the bb tight with my special tool (made by the allmighty mr. Rampage). Left it to dry overnight.
2aaef5c.jpg

This is how it looks like.
a09gm8.jpg

2qk0bao.jpg

1ew1f8.jpg

2u9r1qw.jpg

2pz9sow.jpg

1dyro6.jpg

e9xczr.jpg

zsr11d.jpg

9kb5nl.jpg

smdicw.jpg

2zzuqz8.jpg

Feels suprisingly good! No problems with the steering. Also the bb height to me feels good too.

Front chainring is at 45 mm. That's good enough I think. The chain is 10 speed KMC. Basically it should not work very well with that Surly ring (thickness is 2,3 mm) but I didn't notice anything wrong with the combination. It's quiet.

The chain is used though and it would have been nice to use a brand new chain with those brand new chainrings but hey. Who cares.

Empty v-brake bosses need plugs and handlebar ends needs them too. Those pedals I'm going to change into something more black at some point. Those are temporary, I borrowed them from another bike because I wanted to get to ride this one. The stem also could or should be replaced with a longer one. But I'll ride the bike like this for some time and see how it feels.

Re: 1995 DBR Axis Team Titanium *COMPLETELY TRANSFORMED (PAG

Very cool conversion, i like it.

I too have a WI eno hub (non-eccentric) which i'm going to run 'flip-flop' so i can alternate between fixed and free wheel. They are lovely bits of kit.

Re: 1995 DBR Axis Team Titanium *COMPLETELY TRANSFORMED (PAG

Thanks! Total weight is little under 7,5 kg.

The current spec list is as follows

Frame: DBR Axis TT 18" (1 517 g)
Fork: Bontrager Satellite Elite (671 g)
Headset: Woodman Axis SL (87 g)
Stem: Kalloy UNO OS, 60 mm (80 g)
Handlebar: Noname carbon (133 g)
Grips: ESI Chunky (52 g)
Brake: Shimano BR-CX77 (156+6 g)
Brake pads: Shimano G03Ti
Adapter: Force IS to PM (17+6 g)
Rotor: Ashima ARO-08, 160 mm (87+6 g)
Brake cable: Jagwire Ripcord (34 g)
Brake lever: Tektro (53 g)
Bottom bracket: Hope Titanium, 68 x 103 mm (162 g)
Crank bolts: noname steel (26 g)
Cranks: Middleburn RS7, 170 mm (450 g)
Bashring: RaceFace ring butchered (94 g)
Chainring: Surly stainless steel, 36T (106 g)
Chainring bolts: Sakae steel (26 g)
Pedals: Wellgo M-21 (271 g)
Toe clips: Campagnolo alloy (29+9 g)
Straps: noname leather (54 g)
Hub skewer: noname titanium (18 g)
Cog: White Industries, 15T (40 g)
Lockring: Halo alloy (7 g)
Chain: KMC X10SL (202 g)
Front wheel: noname hub / ZTR Alpha 340 / DT Revo / Brass / Schwalbe tape (708 g)
Rear wheel: White ENO / Kinlin XR-200 / DT Revo / Brass / Schwalbe tape (884 g)
Tyres: Challenge Grifo XS, 33-622 (336+362 g)
Tubes: Schwalbe SV18 (102+103 g)
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium (1993) (211 g)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite, 27.0, 350 mm (273 g)
Seatpost binder: DKG Road Clamp (17+4 g)

Re: 1995 DBR Axis TT *FINISHED AGAIN, PICS ON PAGE 5

man that BB is crazy light.. I have a 19" TT frame, fork, headset and BB and already it weighs about a kilogram more than the total weight for the equivalent parts you have listed

Interesting, and it's given me some ideas. 7.3 Kg is well in road bike territory!

What is the clearance like between the BB shell and the Middleburn drive side crank? It must be close, and it would be great if you could take a picture. Actually a Middleburn UNO ring and skipping the bash ring and 5 bolts would lighten it up even more.

Woz, you are right! The clearance is indeed minimal.

I'll take a picture later but there is about 1 mm (!) gap between the Middleburn spider lockring and the bb shell. When I was installing the cranks I got really frightened when I saw the two surfaces approaching each other like that. But when fully tightened, the drive side crank stopped to were it is now and it's turning freely.

I must admit I really hadn't taken that into consideration. These cranks are indeed meant for a longer BB axle. But I'm glad it worked out. Have to see what happens when muck and sand and dogshit start to collect there...

For some time I did consider buying an UNO ring like you say. But I gave up on the idea mainly because they are really expensive and I also think the stainless steel ring will last longer. And the chainline/tooshortbbaxle/clearanceissues -problem combo would still exist with the UNO ring (I have understood that with the correct bb axle length the UNO will give 48 mm chainline).

The bashring will disappear at some point and the chainring bolts will change to shorter ones. For the sake of losing some grams if nothing else...

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am aware this project was and is kind of an experimental one but I'm really glad it turned out so nice.

Did a long ride yesterday, the bike works and rides beatifully. Really soft, really light, really responsive. Love it.

Ok, here's a pic of the bb area. (Sorry for the picture quality.)
2vn1b0o.jpg

Hard to measure but I'd say the gap is about 1 mm.

And before anyone asks: no, the rear tyre is not touching the bridge.

Back