Another SBDU Raleigh This time in 531 Pro

originalshinkicker":3a1i6j44 said:
You can never tell what has happened with a frame that's 27ish years old. Who knows how many owners (or colours it's had). There are things like the cable guide that look horrible. However, the thing that gets me about the SBDU frames is the quality and detail - strip back the paint and decals and there is a top quality handbuilt british frame built by some of the top builders and craftsmen in the country :D

I know, I was there and saw it!

Rk.

Matt_wood55":1cbclfgb said:
I had a chrome Pro Super - I think you have a derivative of that, and it's had a partial respray.

Yes, I've seen a few Chrome Pro Supers and the frame detail, lugs and braze-ons are identical - the few I have seen have been in Panasonic colours. I do like chrome and I do like red and it's my size too :D

Another SBDU Raleigh. Time to build it!

When I picked up this Raleigh last year, it took a back seat while I built my Team 753. Now that is done, it's time to stick this one in the workstand. The initial plan was a Duraace 7sp group, but in the last few months, I've picked up an almost complete 600EX group from the mid 80's which fits the age of this frame perfectly.

So for this year it's going to be built and ridden while I do a bit more research on how this frame would have looked fresh out the Ilkeston workshop - the red and chrome may be original but I've never seen another like it. Most Ilkeston frames of this age and style are in the Panasonic livery. So next year, maybe, it might get that Dura ace refurb in Panasonic colours.

For now, I have an almost complete 600EX 6sp Shimano 600 SIS group. Need some brake levers and pedals but everything else is there.

Had to dig these out of retirement and remove quite a bit of dust...

Really looking forward to getting this built

Attachments

• SBDU SB7219 531 Pro.jpg
    SBDU SB7219 531 Pro.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 531 600 (1 of 2).jpg
    531 600 (1 of 2).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 440
  • 600EX_HeadsetSpanners.jpg
    600EX_HeadsetSpanners.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 440
  • 531 600 (2 of 2).jpg
    531 600 (2 of 2).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 440
It is easy to be seduced into thinking that every frame that came out of Ilkeston had a"team"livery, but in reality the SBDU would paint a frame in the customer's desired colour scheme - the SBDU brochure is quite clear on this: as was I when visited the SBDU to order mine.

It is quite refreshing to see SBDU frames without the team livery: however so many are being restored into the team livery thus losing this diversity.

I do like the 600EX (first gen' SIS) group, very attractive.

Jon.

I agree Jon. If, when i try to dig out as much as I can, that this turns out as the original scheme then it will stay. I like the deep red and the chrome. The paint and chrome is aged so I do think it is original. If it isn't original then it must have been repainted soon after being built, which I can't see happening.

Yep, I love the 600EX. I'm Shimano through and through but must admit to loving the Super Record that I've put on my 753. I remember the day I walked onto a bike shop in the mid 80s and bought my first SIS kit. Put it on my bike and amazed my friends at how the levers just clicked into place and changed gear!

The red is a classy livery, I am currently trying to decide what colour to repaint my Roberts Road Classic, perhaps the same red with just the dropout faces chromed.

Viz the 600EX group, I've had mine since the late 80s too, I'm just missing the pedals and seatpost - which I keep meaning to source!

Jon.

P.S the SBDU often put the Reynolds sticker at the bottom of the seat tube and the foil sticker on the chainstay.

Re: Another SBDU Raleigh. Time to build it!

very nice indeed. what in the super record boxes??! brakes and front mech perhaps?

;)

rusty bodie":2hzb53yq said:
very nice indeed. what in the super record boxes??! brakes and front mech perhaps?

;)

Yep, boxes from my 753 build. All the NOS bits. I just can't bring myself to chuck them out. They are just empty boxes. They will get used for storage of bits and pieces though. I remember our shop in the 80's had shelves full of used Record/Super Record boxes all given a new life by storing axles and bearings, assorted BB cups, cones.

originalshinkicker":2d4ykymt said:
rusty bodie":2d4ykymt said:

;)

Yep, boxes from my 753 build. All the NOS bits. I just can't bring myself to chuck them out. They are just empty boxes. They will get used for storage of bits and pieces though. I remember our shop in the 80's had shelves full of used Record/Super Record boxes all given a new life by storing axles and bearings, assorted BB cups, cones.

yup, i can recall exactly the same picture back in the day, too. £49.95 for the super record rear mech and £22.50 for the front mech, as i remember it. to this day, i wish the the rear mech worked on index - it's the most beautiful looking gear ever made in my opinion - too bad those shitey period gear levers caused predictable slippage when going for the big sprint or bottom gear uphill grovel!!

:shock:

The 2 bits of the 600EX group that I didn't have eventually arrived. Pedals last week and brake levers today.

Just need some white ambrosio handlebar tape and some cables and a few hours to get it all put together!

Attachments

• Shimano600EX_2.jpg
    Shimano600EX_2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 343
Back