1999 Marin East Peak

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The nearest I've been to having a modern bike since I was a teenager lol.

Quite a bit still standard on it, tyres, saddle, bars and stem are additions and I'm assuming the Sx forks were a factory upgrade?

Fox float shock is a sensible upgrade to the coilover it would have left the factory with.

I've yet to ride it due to the weather as its a bit too nice to ride through the bog my local trails have become.

I'm nearly finished building a 1998 East Peak which will be an all weather rider, pics of that soon.

SDC10317_zpsaae90dc7.jpg

SDC10320_zps9a277943.jpg

SDC10322_zps202378e1.jpg

SDC10319_zpsa8f499ee.jpg

SDC10318_zpsd8e3d20a.jpg

SDC10321_zps5198da69.jpg

That just gets better, it'll even run disk brakes. I've often thought they would make the basis for a great retro/mod trail bike especially with a modern fork fitted.

What are your plans or maybe just ride it as is?

No plans now it will just get ridden this summer, I might look at discs over winter next year.

It'll stay clean if you want to bring it on Sunday Chris , didn't bother washing the Soul after the reccy yesterday , it only had a couple of tiny splashes on it .

That does look clean, and I mean clean lines as well, you don't see too many of those bikes out on the trails, shame as they ride well too.
And you have a 98' model in progress too? :)

Thanks I think they are a pretty clean looking bike too, yes my 98 should be finished by the weekend. The last few bits arrived yesterday including an Stx Rc front mech, the M770 Xt I purchased for it has too high a profile to fit in the very tight space between swingarm and large ring. I've already dropped from a 44t to 42t chainring. Fingers crossed I have the right combination this time.

The 98 is finished now, I took its for its first ride on Sunday, my first ride on a full sus too. Very impressed so far we'll see how quick it is when my fitness improves again.

WP_20140224_zpsdfaa8dda.jpg

WP_201402241_zps0b468d19.jpg

WP_201402242_zpsb622030e.jpg

Back